1873 Founded as AddRan Male and Female College, Thorp Spring, Texas. Addison
Clark, president (until 1899).
Property given to the Christian Churches of Texas, name changed to AddRan Christian
University; J. J. Jarvis president of the board (until 1895).
Moved to Waco, Texas, December; Col. J. Z. Miller, president of board (until
T. E. Shirley, president of board (until 1909).
Named changed to Texas Christian University; E. V. Zollars, president (until
Clinton Lockhart, president (until1910).
T. E. Tomlinson, president of board (until 1917).
Main building at Waco destroyed by fire, March 22; the University moved to Fort
Worth with classes in downtown buildings, September.
Frederick Kershner, president (until 1915); school opened on present campus
with Main Building, Jarvis and Goode Halls, September; first endowment received,
$25,000, from L. C. Brite.
Fort Worth Medical College adopted as medical department; charter member of
the Association of Texas Colleges.
Original Clark Hall completed.
Brite College of the Bible founded, Brite Hall erected.
School of Law added, E. R. Cockrell, principal.
E. M. Waits, president (until 1941); S. J. McFarland, president of the board
Medical College closed due to rising costs.
Endowment of $300,000 attained; School of Law closed.
1921 Gymnasium building completed; recognition by and aid from General
Education Board; elected to membership in the Association of American Colleges.
Elected to membership in Southern Association of Colleges and
Schools, including accreditation; became member of the Southwest Athletic Conference.
Jubilee celebration of fiftieth anniversary; $500,000 endowment
achieved; the Mary Couts Burnett Trust received.
Mary Couts Burnett Library opened.
Graduate School organized, first fieldhouse built.
Van Zandt Jarvis, president of board (until 1940).
University placed on approved list of Association of American
New stadium erected on West Campus; University placed on approved
list of American Association of University Women.
University became charter member of the Southern University
Evening College made distinct administrative unit.
School of Business organized.
Silver anniversary of Brite College of the Bible celebrated.
R. H. Foster, president of board (until1941).
M. E. Sadler, president (until 1959, when became chancellor
until 1965); L. D. Anderson, president of board (until 1954); Brite College
accredited by American Association of Theological Schools.
Foster Dormitory completed.
University reorganized into seven schools and colleges.
Harris College of Nursing added as eighth academic unit.
Tom Brown Dormitory, E. M. Waits Dormitory completed.
Jubilee celebration of seventy-fifth anniversary of University;
$5,000,000 endowment achieved; stadium enlarged to 33,500 capacity.
Ed Landreth Hall and auditorium (Fine Arts) completed.
TCU Summer School in Mexico established at Monterrey Tech.
Winton-Scott Hall of Science completed.
Stadium enlarged to 37,000 capacity; old fieldhouse burned.
Religion Center completed; Milton Daniel, chairman of board
Brown-Lupton Student Center, Pete Wright Dormitory completed;
Jarvis Dormitory renovated.
TCU-Amon G. Carter Stadium expanded to 47,000 capacity. Ranch
Management Program established.
Dan D. Rogers Hall (School of Business) completed; Milton E.
Daniel and Colby D. Hall Dormitories completed.
Lorin A. Boswell, chairman of board (until 1969); estate of
Milton E. Daniel left in trust to University; Mary Couts Burnett Library enlarged;
Sherley Dormitory completed, new Clark Dormitory built on site of Goode Hall;
Bailey Building (old Brite Hall) renovated for School of Education.
First Ph.D. programs approved; title of chief administrative
officer changed from President to Chancellor.
M. E. Sadler Hall (administration and classrooms) completed
on site of original Clark Hall; first students enrolled in Ph.D. programs in
physics and psychology.
Dave Reed Hall (old Administration Building) rebuilt for classrooms,
faculty offices, second cafeteria; sale of adjacent Worth Hills Golf Course
to the University approved by voters of the city.
Daniel-Meyer Coliseum built, seating 7,166; Ph.D. programs
in English and mathematics inaugurated; University elected to membership in
College Entrance Examination Board and as a sponsor of the Oak Ridge Institute
of Nuclear Studies; Computer Center put into operation; Institute of Behavioral
Worth Hills Golf Course acquired for future expansion; Brown-Lupton
Health Center completed; Ph.D. program in chemistry begun.
Five residence halls and cafeteria completed on Worth Hills
Ph.D. program in history inaugurated; endowment of over $27,000,000
reached; Dr. M. E. Sadler retired as Chancellor (July 1); Dr. James M. Moudy
elected Chancellor and inaugurated Nov. 19.
Approved faculty leaves with pay; authorized creation of "The
TCU Press;" received $3.4 million matching grant from Sid W. Richardson
Foundation toward construction of Science-Research Center.
Named School of Business "M. J. Neeley School of Business;"
began participation in TAGER (The Assn. for Graduate Education and Research
in North Texas) TV network; approved formation of a Faculty Assembly and Senate;
Brown-Lupton Student Center expanded.
Adopted new academic calendar with fall term ending before
Christmas; established Pastoral Care and Training Center.
Dr. M. J. Neeley chairman of board (until 1972); approved "New
Century" program and goal; Leo Potishman Tennis Center completed; Bellaire
North and Princeton House apartments purchased for student housing.
Completed Sid W. Richardson Physical Sciences Building, Annie Richardson
Bass Building for Harris College of Nursing and Home Economics and a new living-learning
residence hall (named during 1971-72 session for Dr. and Mrs. Solomon Brachman);
Phi Beta Kappa Chapter established February 24.
Completed Cyrus K. and Ann C. Rickel Health and Physical Education
Building and new women's residence hall (named during 1972-73 session for
Mary Lipscomb Wiggins); formed Centennial Commission to plan 100th year observance
during 1973; Friends of the Texas Christian University Libraries organized January
28; Tom Brown Hall renovated and refurnished.
Administration reorganized into two major areas: academic and support,
each headed by a vice chancellor; Theodore P. Beasley elected chairman of board;
Waits and Milton Daniel Halls renovated and refurnished.
Celebrated centennial year; $35 million achieved during New Century
campaign for capital, operating and endowment funds; "Old Gym" remodeled
for Division of Ballet, "Little Gym" as annex for Department of Art.
William C. Conner elected chairman of board; Chancellor J. M. Moudy
received grant from the Danforth Foundation for leave of absence during spring
semester, Vice Chancellor and Provost Howard G. Wible named Acting Chancellor
during that time.
Miller Speech and Hearing Clinic building completed.
Mary Potishman Lard Tennis Center completed for public and University
use; third floor added to Annie Richardson Bass Building.
Addison and Randolph Clark Society established to recognize donors
of $1,000 or more annually; Texas Growth Companies Endowment Fund established.
Ground broken for J. M. Moudy Building for Visual Arts and Communication
(dedicated March 26, 1982); new building for Starpoint School completed.
Graduate program re-organized by school and college, replacing Graduate
School; Bayard Friedman elected chairman of board; Martin-Moore Hall named;
Dr. James M. Moudy retired as chancellor, succeeded on Sept. 5 by Dr. William
E. Tucker (inaugurated April 16, 1980).
Brite Divinity School passes $7.5 million goal of its first fund-raising
campaign; goal of $10 million to expand library achieved.
Library collection passes one million items; $5 million endowment
for financial aid received from Theodore and Beulah Beasley Foundation.
The 40,000th graduate received a degree at summer commencement; addition
almost doubling size of the library occupied (dedicated March 25, 1983).
Endowment reaches and passes $100 million for first time; appointments
made to The 1990s Project: A Commission on TCU and the Future; Chancellor William
E. Tucker elected to two-year term as moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples
Expansion of building for M. J. Neeley School of Business approved;
suggestions received from The 1990s Project; football team gains national attention
and plays in Bluebonnet Bowl.
Limitations placed on freshman, transfer enrollments; duties of vice
chancellor for admistrative services and student affairs divided among two positions
as fifth vice chancellor is added.
Construction of new residence hall approved.
Groundbreaking for Tandy Hall expansion of M.J. Neeley School of
Business and Moncrief Hall, a new residence hall; School of Fine Arts re-named
College of Fine Arts and Communication; new University Curriculum Requirements
Academic Services Center put into full operation; Moncrief Hall dedicated.
Tandy Hall dedicated; endowment passes $200 million.
John Roach elected chairman of board; 50,000th graduate receives
degree; more than $3 million in gifts assure permanence of Ranch Management
Program; priorities for academic initiatives in the 1990s include a program
in engineering, stronger focus on Ph.D. programs, strengthened international
study opportunities for faculty and students.
Master plan for the physical campus completed and approved; central
dining hall renovated for $2.2 million.
First freshmen admitted to new engineering program; Winthrop Rockefeller
Building for Ranch Management completed (dedicated January, 1993); first "global
theme semester" held and student exchange with Universidad de las Americas
- Puebla approved; $15 million bequest from estates of B.M. and Frances
Board of Trustees approve planning of a comprehensive fund-raising
campaign, the first in a quarter century; endowment passes $400 million.
The Walsh Complex, a $2.5 million expansion of the athletics weight
training and rehabilitation center, is built; when the Southwest Conference
acts to disband after 1995, TCU joins the Western Athletic Conference, then
wins the SWC football co-championship and plays in Independence Bowl; The Next
Frontier Campaign is publicly announced with a $100 million goal, with $61 million
raised or committed during the "silent phase" of the five-year campaign.
Ground is broken for the $6 million Dee J. Kelly Alumni and Visitors
Center (dedicated at Homecoming 1996); computer/information technology extended
to all residence hall rooms; pre-enrollment "Frog Camp" becomes integral
to freshman program.
First class of engineering students awarded degrees; faculty expanded
by ten primarily to enhance freshman seminar program; ground broken for $11.5
million F. Howard and Mary D. Walsh Center for the Performing Arts; renewal/reconfiguration
of residence halls approved.
The combined TCU/Brite endowment exceeds $750 million after completion
of the five-year Next Frontier Campaign which raised more than $126 million;
Pete Wright Hall razed to make way for the Tom Brown/Pete Wright residential
community, completed in 1998; the Department of Engineering receives accreditation;
TCU establishes partnership with Columbia University to send students to Biosphere
The Mary D. and F. Howard Walsh Center for Performing Arts dedicated;
the TCU London Centre, the University's first permanent oversees facility,
opens its doors to the first class of students in the fall; Chancellor William
E. Tucker retires after 19 years of service, paving the way for the University's
ninth chancellor, Michael R. Ferrari; the department of music renamed the School
of Music and becomes one of the country's few all-Steinway schools. TCU
defeats USC in the Sun Bowl, 28-19.
Tom Brown/Pete Wright Residential Complex, housing upperclassmen
in apartment style quarters, opens in January; work begins on the William E.
and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center; Commission on the Future of TCU kicks
off in fall; Lowdon track is dedicated; ground is broken for 35,000 square-foot
Justin Athletics Center; Frogs beat East Carolina 28-14 in the Mobile Alabama
Bowl; Trustees approve an aggressive program to improve classroom technology
and hire 21 new faculty.
2000 Schools and colleges reorganized from five to seven--AddRan College
of Humanities and Social Sciences, M.J. Neeley School of Business, the College
of Communication, the School of Education, the College of Fine Arts, the College
of Health and Human Sciences, and the College of Science and Engineering; the
James A. Ryffel Entrepreneurship Center establishe; TCU parents Steve and Sarah
Smith donate $10.5 million for an entrepreneurship facility, the largest private
gift in University history; Brite's Leibrock Village dedicated; Running back
LaDainian Tomlinson becomes the third Frog to run for the Heisman, placing 4th
in the nation in the final vote and earning the Doak Walker Award; Frogs end
with an 11-1 football season and go to their third consecutive bowl game.
2001 Spring closes the most successful athletics program in school history
as the University leaves the WAC and joins Conference USA.