Milestones of TCU History
Founded as AddRan Male and Female College, Thorp Spring, Texas. Addison Clark, president (until 1899).
Property given to the Christian Churches of Texas, name changed to AddRan Christian University; J. J. Jarvis president of the board (until 1895).
Moved to Waco, Texas, December; Col. J. Z. Miller, president of board (until 1899).
T. E. Shirley, president of board (until 1909).
Named changed to Texas Christian University; E. V. Zollars, president (until 1906).
Clinton Lockhart, president (until1910).
T. E. Tomlinson, president of board (until 1917).
Main building at Waco destroyed by fire, March 22; the University moved to Fort Worth with classes in downtown buildings, September.
Frederick Kershner, president (until 1915); school opened on present campus with Main Building, Jarvis and Goode Halls, September; first endowment received, $25,000, from L. C. Brite.
Fort Worth Medical College adopted as medical department; charter member of the Association of Texas Colleges.
Original Clark Hall completed.
Brite College of the Bible founded, Brite Hall erected.
School of Law added, E. R. Cockrell, principal.
E. M. Waits, president (until 1941); S. J. McFarland, president of the board (until 1927).
Medical College closed due to rising costs.
Endowment of $300,000 attained; School of Law closed.
Gymnasium building completed; recognition by and aid from General Education Board; elected to membership in the Association of American Colleges.
Elected to membership in Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, including accreditation; became member of the Southwest Athletic Conference.
Jubilee celebration of fiftieth anniversary; $500,000 endowment achieved; the Mary Couts Burnett Trust received.
Mary Couts Burnett Library opened.
Graduate School organized, first fieldhouse built.
Van Zandt Jarvis, president of board (until 1940).
University placed on approved list of Association of American Universities.
New stadium erected on West Campus; University placed on approved list of American Association of University Women.
University became charter member of the Southern University Conference.
Evening College made distinct administrative unit.
School of Business organized.
Silver anniversary of Brite College of the Bible celebrated.
R. H. Foster, president of board (until1941).
M. E. Sadler, president (until 1959, when became chancellor until 1965); L. D. Anderson, president of board (until 1954); Brite College accredited by American Association of Theological Schools.
Foster Dormitory completed.
University reorganized into seven schools and colleges.
Harris College of Nursing added as eighth academic unit.
Tom Brown Dormitory, E. M. Waits Dormitory completed.
Jubilee celebration of seventy-fifth anniversary of University; $5,000,000 endowment achieved; stadium enlarged to 33,500 capacity.
Ed Landreth Hall and auditorium (Fine Arts) completed.
TCU Summer School in Mexico established at Monterrey Tech.
Winton-Scott Hall of Science completed.
Stadium enlarged to 37,000 capacity; old fieldhouse burned.
Religion Center completed; Milton Daniel, chairman of board (until 1958).
Brown-Lupton Student Center, Pete Wright Dormitory completed; Jarvis Dormitory renovated.
TCU-Amon G. Carter Stadium expanded to 47,000 capacity. Ranch Management Program established.
Dan D. Rogers Hall (School of Business) completed; Milton E. Daniel and Colby D. Hall Dormitories completed.
Lorin A. Boswell, chairman of board (until 1969); estate of Milton E. Daniel left in trust to University; Mary Couts Burnett Library enlarged; Sherley Dormitory completed, new Clark Dormitory built on site of Goode Hall; Bailey Building (old Brite Hall) renovated for School of Education.
First Ph.D. programs approved; title of chief administrative officer changed from President to Chancellor.
M. E. Sadler Hall (administration and classrooms) completed on site of original Clark Hall; first students enrolled in Ph.D. programs in physics and psychology.
Dave Reed Hall (old Administration Building) rebuilt for classrooms, faculty offices, second cafeteria; sale of adjacent Worth Hills Golf Course to the University approved by voters of the city.
Daniel-Meyer Coliseum built, seating 7,166; Ph.D. programs in English and mathematics inaugurated; University elected to membership in College Entrance Examination Board and as a sponsor of the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies; Computer Center put into operation; Institute of Behavioral Research established.
Worth Hills Golf Course acquired for future expansion; Brown-Lupton Health Center completed; Ph.D. program in chemistry begun.
Five residence halls and cafeteria completed on Worth Hills property.
Ph.D. program in history inaugurated; endowment of over $27,000,000 reached; Dr. M. E. Sadler retired as Chancellor (July 1); Dr. James M. Moudy elected Chancellor and inaugurated Nov. 19.
Approved faculty leaves with pay; authorized creation of "The TCU Press;" received $3.4 million matching grant from Sid W. Richardson Foundation toward construction of Science-Research Center.
Named School of Business "M. J. Neeley School of Business;" began participation in TAGER (The Assn. for Graduate Education and Research in North Texas) TV network; approved formation of a Faculty Assembly and Senate; Brown-Lupton Student Center expanded.
Adopted new academic calendar with fall term ending before Christmas; established Pastoral Care and Training Center.
Dr. M. J. Neeley chairman of board (until 1972); approved "New Century" program and goal; Leo Potishman Tennis Center completed; Bellaire North and Princeton House apartments purchased for student housing.
Completed Sid W. Richardson Physical Sciences Building, Annie Richardson Bass Building for Harris College of Nursing and Home Economics and a new living-learning residence hall (named during 1971-72 session for Dr. and Mrs. Solomon Brachman); Phi Beta Kappa Chapter established February 24.
Completed Cyrus K. and Ann C. Rickel Health and Physical Education Building and new women's residence hall (named during 1972-73 session for Mary Lipscomb Wiggins); formed Centennial Commission to plan 100th year observance during 1973; Friends of the Texas Christian University Libraries organized January 28; Tom Brown Hall renovated and refurnished.
Administration reorganized into two major areas: academic and support, each headed by a vice chancellor; Theodore P. Beasley elected chairman of board; Waits and Milton Daniel Halls renovated and refurnished.
Celebrated centennial year; $35 million achieved during New Century campaign for capital, operating and endowment funds; "Old Gym" remodeled for Division of Ballet, "Little Gym" as annex for Department of Art.
William C. Conner elected chairman of board; Chancellor J. M. Moudy received grant from the Danforth Foundation for leave of absence during spring semester, Vice Chancellor and Provost Howard G. Wible named Acting Chancellor during that time.
Miller Speech and Hearing Clinic building completed.
Mary Potishman Lard Tennis Center completed for public and University use; third floor added to Annie Richardson Bass Building.
Addison and Randolph Clark Society established to recognize donors of $1,000 or more annually; Texas Growth Companies Endowment Fund established.
Ground broken for J. M. Moudy Building for Visual Arts and Communication (dedicated March 26, 1982); new building for Starpoint School completed.
Graduate program re-organized by school and college, replacing Graduate School; Bayard Friedman elected chairman of board; Martin-Moore Hall named; Dr. James M. Moudy retired as chancellor, succeeded on Sept. 5 by Dr. William E. Tucker (inaugurated April 16, 1980).
Brite Divinity School passes $7.5 million goal of its first fund-raising campaign; goal of $10 million to expand library achieved.
Library collection passes one million items; $5 million endowment for financial aid received from Theodore and Beulah Beasley Foundation.
The 40,000th graduate received a degree at summer commencement; addition almost doubling size of the library occupied (dedicated March 25, 1983).
Endowment reaches and passes $100 million for first time; appointments made to The 1990s Project: A Commission on TCU and the Future; Chancellor William E. Tucker elected to two-year term as moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Expansion of building for M. J. Neeley School of Business approved; suggestions received from The 1990s Project; football team gains national attention and plays in Bluebonnet Bowl.
Limitations placed on freshman, transfer enrollments; duties of vice chancellor for admistrative services and student affairs divided among two positions as fifth vice chancellor is added.
Construction of new residence hall approved.
Groundbreaking for Tandy Hall expansion of M.J. Neeley School of Business and Moncrief Hall, a new residence hall; School of Fine Arts re-named College of Fine Arts and Communication; new University Curriculum Requirements approved.
Academic Services Center put into full operation; Moncrief Hall dedicated.
Tandy Hall dedicated; endowment passes $200 million.
John Roach elected chairman of board; 50,000th graduate receives degree; more than $3 million in gifts assure permanence of Ranch Management Program; priorities for academic initiatives in the 1990s include a program in engineering, stronger focus on Ph.D. programs, strengthened international study opportunities for faculty and students.
Master plan for the physical campus completed and approved; central dining hall renovated for $2.2 million.
First freshmen admitted to new engineering program; Winthrop Rockefeller Building for Ranch Management completed (dedicated January, 1993); first "global theme semester" held and student exchange with Universidad de las Americas - Puebla approved; $15 million bequest from estates of B.M. and Frances Britain received.
Board of Trustees approve planning of a comprehensive fund-raising campaign, the first in a quarter century; endowment passes $400 million.
The Walsh Complex, a $2.5 million expansion of the athletics weight training and rehabilitation center, is built; when the Southwest Conference acts to disband after 1995, TCU joins the Western Athletic Conference, then wins the SWC football co-championship and plays in Independence Bowl; The Next Frontier Campaign is publicly announced with a $100 million goal, with $61 million raised or committed during the "silent phase" of the five-year campaign.
Ground is broken for the $6 million Dee J. Kelly Alumni and Visitors Center (dedicated at Homecoming 1996); computer/information technology extended to all residence hall rooms; pre-enrollment "Frog Camp" becomes integral to freshman program.
First class of engineering students awarded degrees; faculty expanded by ten primarily to enhance freshman seminar program; ground broken for $11.5 million F. Howard and Mary D. Walsh Center for the Performing Arts; renewal/reconfiguration of residence halls approved.
The combined TCU/Brite endowment exceeds $750 million after completion of the five-year Next Frontier Campaign which raised more than $126 million; Pete Wright Hall razed to make way for the Tom Brown/Pete Wright residential community, completed in 1998; the Department of Engineering receives accreditation; TCU establishes partnership with Columbia University to send students to Biosphere II.
The Mary D. and F. Howard Walsh Center for Performing Arts dedicated; the TCU London Centre, the University's first permanent oversees facility, opens its doors to the first class of students in the fall; Chancellor William E. Tucker retires after 19 years of service, paving the way for the University's ninth chancellor, Michael R. Ferrari; the department of music renamed the School of Music and becomes one of the country's few all-Steinway schools. TCU defeats USC in the Sun Bowl, 28-19.
Tom Brown/Pete Wright Residential Complex, housing upperclassmen in apartment style quarters, opens in January; work begins on the William E. and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center; Commission on the Future of TCU kicks off in fall; Lowdon track is dedicated; ground is broken for 35,000 square-foot Justin Athletics Center; Frogs beat East Carolina 28-14 in the Mobile Alabama Bowl; Trustees approve an aggressive program to improve classroom technology and hire 21 new faculty.
Schools and colleges reorganized from five to seven--AddRan College of Humanities and Social Sciences, M.J. Neeley School of Business, the College of Communication, the School of Education, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Health and Human Sciences, and the College of Science and Engineering; the James A. Ryffel Entrepreneurship Center established; TCU parents Steve and Sarah Smith donate $10.5 million for an entrepreneurship facility, the largest private gift in University history; Brite's Leibrock Village dedicated; Running back LaDainian Tomlinson becomes the third Frog to run for the Heisman, placing 4th in the nation in the final vote and earning the Doak Walker Award; Frogs end with an 10-2 football season and go to their third consecutive bowl game -- the Mobile Alabama Bowl; In November, the university signs an agreement with the Universidad de las Americas in Puebla, Mexico, allowing students from both universities to earn degrees in communication from both institutions simultaneously.
Spring closes the most successful athletics program in school history as the University leaves the Western Athletic Conference and joins Conference USA; In February, TCU Board of Trustees approved a new flat-rate pricing structure that better aligns TCU with other prominent private universities and reflects the value of the complete "TCU Experience"; Gary Patterson becomes the 29th head coach in the history of the TCU football program and takes the Horned Frogs their 4th consecutive post-season appearance -- The galleryfurniture.com Bowl; Harris School of Nursing launches an online master's degree to allow RNs with a bachelor of science degree to complete their master's in two years, and RNs with a associate of arts degree to complete the program in three; the women's basketball team wins the WAC regular season title and post-season tournament, earning the Lady Frogs their first-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament; In May, the James A Ryffel Center for Entrepreneurial Studies sponsors the first-ever Entrepreneurial Summit, a networking and idea-sharing event; Construction begins on the Sarah and Steve Smith Entrepreneurs Hall; M.J. Neely School of Business launches a Center for Supply and Value Chain Studies; Men's Head Basketball Coach Billy Tubbs announces he will step down at the end of the season. He compiles a 156-95 record including a regular season WAC division title in eight seasons; Mary Couts Burnett Library expands its computer lab to 100 computers and adds Bistro Burnett, a coffee bar in the library's foyer; The University begins a three-year $30 million plan to upgrade about 80 classrooms and laboratories with new lighting, ceilings, furniture and audio-visual equipment and renovate several residence halls.
The M.J. Neely School of Business makes plans for the Luther King Capital Management Center for Financial Studies; The School of Education announces a Center for Urban Education that will form a coalition of teachers, principals and TCU faculty and students to turn neglected inner-city schools into thriving environments; Mary Couts Burnett Library establishes Information Commons, a combination reference help desk and computer troubleshooting center; Construction begins on 2,220-seat Lupton Stadium, the new home for the baseball team; William E. and Jean Jones Tucker Technology Center opens for engineering, computer science and mathematics; Neil Dougherty becomes the 18th head coach in the history of TCU men's basketball; a School of Anesthesia opens within the College of Health and Human Sciences; the football team wins it's fifth consecutive bowl game, beating Colorado State 17-3 in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., and ending the season 10-2 with a No. 22 ranking.
The Steve and Sarah Smith Entrepreneurs Hall opens; Victor J. Boschini Jr. becomes TCU's 10th leader when he takes office as chancellor; Chancellor Michael R. Ferrari retires after leading the University for five years; D. Newell Williams becomes the eighth president of Brite Divinity School; Monnig Meteorite Gallery opens; Baseball Coach Lance Brown, TCU's all-time winningest coach, retires after 17 years and 517 victories, Jim Schlossnagle is named his successor; the freshman class was the largest and smartest group ever at 1,596 with an average SAT of 1168; the Frogs lost to Boise State 34-31 in the Inaugural Fort Worth Bowl after an 11-1 season pushed them into the national media spotlight with talk of a BCS game if they went undefeated; tuition rose to $19,700, a 11.9 percent increase; Vision in Action: Planning TCU's Future was launched to develop a long-range strategic plan; purple gowns were instituted for graduation.