Admission / Overview Graduate Programs
Special Graduate Programs
Financial Aid
Master's Degree Requirements
Ph.D. Degree Requirements
Policies and Procedures
Academic Services
Other Services
Academic Conduct


Texas Christian University offers graduate education in 48 fields ranging from the highly abstract to the applied and professional. Because graduate education should be a broadening experience as well as a deepening of knowledge gained from undergraduate programs, the University offers students many options for their graduate studies. But there is a common thread running through all programs-a commitment to excellence, to the highest standards of scholarship in the disciplines and professions represented in the University.

TCU affords its graduate students many advantages: an excellent library; many outstanding research facilities and laboratories; broad-based computer services; an excellent atmosphere for learning; and, most importantly, the opportunity to study with an outstanding and dedicated faculty, many of whom are scholars of national and international reputation. In all of its graduate programs, the University seeks to foster teaching and learning of the highest quality.

See for applications and online information about graduate programs at TCU.

Graduate Programs

Graduate degrees are administered by the college or school in which the academic program is offered.
AddRan College of Humanities & Social Sciences
M. J. Neeley School of Business
School of Education
College of Communication
College of Fine Arts
College of Health and Human Sciences
College of Science and Engineering
Office of Graduate Studies and Research (Master of Liberal Arts)
The policies for graduate study are determined cooperatively by the Administration, the Graduate Council, and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The implementation of these policies is the responsibility of the Vice Chancellor.

Accreditations and Affiliations

Texas Christian University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097: Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees.

Other memberships and accreditations directly related to graduate study include: Southern University Conference, Association of American Colleges, National Association of Schools of Music, American Chemical Society, Texas Education Agency, the International Association for Management Education, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Graduate Management Admissions Council, The Association of Texas Graduate Schools, Texas Board of Nurse Examiners, the Council of Graduate Schools, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, and Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.

TCU is also one of the sponsoring universities of the Oak Ridge Associated Universities located at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

Graduate Degrees Offered

Master of Accounting

Master of Arts

Art History
Environmental Science
Media Arts

Master of Arts in Teaching

Master of Business Administration

Master of Education

Educational Administration
Educational Foundations
Elementary Education w/ Initial Teacher Certification --Early Childhood-EC-4
Elementary Education w/ Initial Teacher Certification --Middle Grades
Secondary Education
Secondary Education w/ Teacher Certification
Elementary Education Early Childhood 3/2
Elementary Education Middle Grades 3/2/
Secondary Education 3/2
Special Education

Master of Fine Arts

Studio Art

Master of International Management

Master of Liberal Arts

Master of Music



--Band/Orchestral Instruments
--Keyboard Studies

Piano Pedagogy
Vocal Performance

Master of Music Education

Master of Science

Advertising/Public Relations
Environmental Science
Journalism and Mass Communication
Nurse Anesthesia
Speech-Language Pathology
Speech Communication

Doctor of Education
Education Leadership

Doctor of Philosophy

Special Graduate Programs

Teacher Certification Programs
Initial teacher certification may be pursued in conjunction with the Master's degree. Prerequisites include completion of the Bachelor's degree with an appropriate area of specialization or teaching field and submission of passing scores in all three areas of the THEA. The Principal Certificate is available through the Educational Administration program. Counseling certification is also offered.

Detailed information concerning these programs may be obtained from the School of Education, TCU Box 297900, Fort Worth, Texas 76129.

Oak Ridge Associated Universities

TCU is a member of the Council of Sponsoring Institutions of Oak Ridge Associated Universities. ORAU conducts research and educational programs in energy, health and the environment for DOE, ORAU's member institutions, other colleges and universities, and other private and governmental organizations.

The ORAU Laboratory Graduate Participation Program enables graduate students in life, physical and social sciences, who have completed all degree requirements except thesis or dissertation research, to perform full-time thesis or dissertation research under the joint direction of the major professor and a DOE staff member at a participating site. Applications for Oak Ridge Fellowships may be requested through the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects.


Texas Christian University will admit qualified students without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age and veteran or handicapped status, in accordance with Title IX and other governmental regulations.

General Requirements

For admission, an applicant must possess a bachelor's degree from an institution regarded as standard by the University and a regional accrediting agency.

For unconditional admission, the student must have satisfactory undergraduate preparation for the particular degree sought. This is determined by the chair of the major department and the dean of the appropriate school/college, and includes a "B" average in either the last 60 hours of undergraduate work or in all undergraduate work; a "B" average in the major field and satisfactory scores on the appropriate tests required by the school or college.

Individual departments or schools or colleges may set higher standards and require other tests. Specific departmental admission requirements are given at the beginning of the list of departmental course offerings.

A satisfactory application does not guarantee acceptance. An application may be rejected if there are more applicants than openings in the intended major area or if the program TCU provides is not suitable to the applicant's vocational goals, for example.

Complete and certified transcripts (mailed from the registrar's office directly to TCU) from all colleges attended, an application form with application fee (if applicable) and a Report of Health History including documentation of the required immunizations are required. These forms may be obtained from the appropriate dean's office.

Undergraduate Prerequisites

In most departments, a minimum prerequisite of 24 semester hours is required in the major field.

Deficiencies in Preparation

A student who lacks certain courses prerequisite to full standing for graduate study must enroll in these as soon as possible by arrangement with the major department. ("Enrolled in" refers to a valid registration for an academic course at TCU.)

Types of Admission

TCU provides six types of admission:

1. Unconditional Admission

Unconditional admission is granted to applicants who have met all of the general requirements for admission as well as the particular admission requirements of the department and school/college, and who have completed all admission formalities.

2. Conditional Admission

Conditional admission may be granted to applicants who have been unable to complete all admission requirements by the application deadline. In each such case, an appropriate, specific deadline for satisfying the explicit conditions is given to the student, not to exceed one semester, and may include restriction of hours to be taken as a conditionally admitted student. Special permission to extend the deadline by at most one semester may be requested in writing from the college or school dean. Students who have not removed the conditions by the extended deadline will not be permitted to register for classes. Schools and colleges may have more stringent policies regarding conditional admission.

3. Non-Degree Graduate Admission

Non-Degree graduate admission may be given to an applicant who (1) meets the general requirements for admission, (2) is not an applicant for a degree program, and (3) wishes to enroll for graduate work for credit.

Non-Degree admission requires completion of the appropriate application form, a letter stating why the student is requesting non-degree admission, $50 application fee, and submission of one official transcript mailed to TCU from the registrar's office showing all work the student has previously completed. Applications for Non-Degree admission require the approval of the department concerned and the appropriate dean's office. A maximum of 9 hours of graduate study is permitted under Non-Degree admission.

Courses taken under this status are not credited toward requirements for a degree. If, at some later date, degree admission is desired, the student must complete all regular admission formalities. At the time of application for degree admission, courses previously taken as a non-degree student may be evaluated for possible degree credit. Upon recommendation of the department to which the student is admitted and with approval of the appropriate dean's office, a maximum of 9 hours taken in a non-degree graduate status may be credited toward degree requirements.

4. Visiting Graduate Student Admission
Visiting Graduate Student admission may be granted to students enrolled in graduate programs at other universities but who desire to take courses from TCU for transfer. Students should get prior approval for this work from their graduate school since the receiving institution has the right to accept or reject transfer courses.

Requirements for Visiting Graduate Student admission are a completed application form, including $50 application fee, and a letter of good standing mailed to TCU from the registrar's office of the student's institution.

5. Admission for TCU Seniors

Admission for TCU seniors is sometimes permitted. A qualified TCU senior may begin graduate work during the final bachelor's semester. The student must be within 9 hours of completing all requirements for the bachelor's degree and must be enrolled for the courses which will fill those requirements.

In addition to other application materials a statement of standing indicating that the student is within the 9-hour limit of completing the degree requirements from the registrar or the academic dean is required. These materials must be submitted prior to the registration period. This admission is limited to TCU seniors only and may be for degree admission or for non-degree student admission.

6. Workshop Admission

Workshop Admission is a simplified admission procedure for the student who wishes to attend a special graduate seminar or workshop offered by TCU. Admission will be granted to applicants who hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. or proof of equivalent training at a foreign institution and are in good standing at all colleges and/or universities previously attended. Graduate credit will be given for grades of "B" or better. Such a student is not regarded as an applicant for a degree program.

Procedures for Making Application for Graduate Study

In most cases, application may be made online. Visit the appropriate School or College website from for information about applying online.

Paper applications, along with a $50 application fee, should be sent to the following offices at Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas 76129, depending on the desired field of study:

AddRan College of Humanities and Social Sciences
TCU Box 297200

M. J. Neeley School of Business
TCU Box 298540

College of Communication
TCU Box 298040

School of Education
TCU Box 297900

College of Fine Arts
TCU Box 298000

College of Health and Human Sciences
TCU Box 298625

College of Science and Engineering
TCU Box 298960

Office of Graduate Studies and Research
TCU Box 297023

In addition to the application for admission, prospective students must have two official transcripts mailed from the registrar's office, for all previous colleges attended, to the appropriate office. If the last school attended was TCU, the appropriate office will obtain the necessary records.

Notices of admission to graduate study are not held for release on any particular date but are sent as soon as action is taken. Successful applicants are notified of the date for which acceptance has been granted.

Graduate Financial Aid Applications
Candidates for fall admission who are applicants for financial aid should complete all application procedures by April 1 preceding the fall semester they plan to begin study. A financial aid form (if required) may be submitted at the same time as the application for admission and may be obtained from the offices listed above.

Graduate Entrance Examinations
Official Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or other appropriate professional tests must be submitted if required by the major department. The examinations are administered through the Educational Testing Service (ETS), PO Box 6004, Princeton NJ 08541-6004. Official scores must be sent by ETS. See college/department listings for required tests and other admission requirements.

Information and Registration Bulletins for the GRE are available in the Counseling Center or in the Office of Graduate Studies and Research; GMAT applications are available in the Counseling Center or the MBA Office in the M. J. Neeley School of Business. Applicants to the M. J. Neeley School of Business must submit scores from the GMAT.

Graduate Admission for TCU Faculty
Members of the TCU faculty with the rank of instructor or above who meet the regular requirements for admission are eligible to register for individual graduate courses or for graduate work leading to a master's degree. However, they are not eligible to become candidates for a doctoral degree at TCU.

Graduate Admission for International Students
1. Admission of International Students
Admission standards for all students does not change based upon country of origin or residency. However, students on F or J visas are required to show English proficiency via the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), with a score of 550 (paper) or 213 (computer), or at least a 55 on each section. The T.W.E. may also be required and it is at the discretion of individual departments to establish higher standards if necessary.

TCU's Intensive English Program staff conducts interviews and exams where necessary in support of TOEFL and TWE requirements and University Graduate study expectations. Extra support/needs are reported to the graduate director and the student will be notified as to courses needed during the students' first term and any subsequent terms of study.

Transfer students within the United States may submit evidence of one year of successful study (within the last two years) in order to have evidence of English requirements waived.

2. Financial Capability and Affidavits
F and J students are required by US law to provide evidence of sufficient funding to live and study in the United States prior to issuance of any immigration documents. A sufficient financial packet must include, a) the TCU Financial Statement accompanied by an original bank statement indicating sufficient funding for ALL expenses. This may be completed by student, family, friend or organization, but must include specific financial data on official financial institution letterhead, b) as well as an Affidavit of Support from persons named in sponsorship records, verifying willingness to sponsor student. Students should submit any financial award from TCU as part of their financial portfolio. All international graduate students must pay a non-refundable $50 orientation fee, due at the time of application submission. There is an additional application fee for students applying to the Neeley School of Business. The regular graduate school application fee is waived for international applicants to programs not in Neeley. Further information may be found at and includes all necessary forms.

3. Medical Insurance Coverage and University Health Record Requirements
All students on student visas must have insurance coverage during their entire time at TCU. The Brown Lupton Health Center provides coverage for international students through its carrier, Aetna. Enrollment is mandatory and automatic for all students, with the exception of those students in sponsored (J Visa) programs requiring purchase prior to arrival. Students with dependants (F-2/J-2) may request waiver under specific circumstances, but national coverage in home country does not merit waiver and will not be considered.

A medical history form with a record of all immunizations is required prior to registration and is included in the prearrival packet for international students.

4. Prearrival Information contains information on the above requirements and many other questions you have about coming to TCU. Included are web applications to request a roommate prior to arrival, what you can expect when you get to Texas, and a lot of useful information that has been selected based upon student input on needed information before, during and after initial arrival in the United States.

Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees at TCU are usually set in the spring and become effective with Term I of the following summer session. Current tuition and fee schedules are available from:

Financial Services
TCU Box 297011
Fort Worth, TX 76129
(817) 257-7836

Office of Graduate Studies and Research
TCU Box 297023
Fort Worth, TX 76129
(817) 257-7515
or any dean's office.

Payment Texas Christian University has a monthly billing cycle. Payment in full for each semester's charges is due no later than the due date specified on the first statement on which the charges for the semester appear. If full payment is not made, an optional monthly payment plan is available for the fall and spring semesters. A minimum payment of 20% of total semester charges is due in each monthly installment. No advance notice is required to participate in the payment plan option. However, finance charges will be assessed monthly on unpaid balances under the payment plan. More detailed information about the payment plan option is available from the Director of Student Financial Services. The payment plan option is not available for summer sessions.

Payment deadlines must be met or the student may be denied advance or current registration. The ability to register in subsequent semesters may be denied if the student account is in arrears.

Transcripts will not be released nor will a degree be awarded unless the student has satisfied all financial obligations to the University, including loans made through the University.

Student accounts must be current to be eligible to make residential housing reservations and to make charges to student accounts using the student's University identification card.

Miscellaneous Charges. University Store purchases, library and parking fines, health insurance, health center services and medications, parking permits, copying charges, dining add-on charges and finance charges are billed monthly and must be paid in full each month.

A finance charge is assessed monthly on billed items not paid by the stated due date. This applies to all accounts regardless of payment plan participation. More detailed information is available from the Director of Student Financial Services.

Students Receiving Financial Aid may participate in the payment plan option. The minimum amount due on the statement should be the total semester amount due less any financial aid awarded (except work study, which is paid directly to the student during the semester).

Refunds. For a fall or spring semester, a student who withdraws from the university on or before the fifth class day may receive a 100 percent tuition refund. If withdrawal from the university occurs on or before the tenth class day, a 75 percent tuition refund is made. A 50 percent tuition refund is made upon withdrawal from the university on or before the 15th class day, and a 25 percent tuition refund is made if withdrawal is made on before the 20th class day.

For a fall or spring semester, a student who withdraws from a class on or before the fifth class day may receive a 100 percent tuition refund. If withdrawal from a class occurs on or before the tenth class day, a 75 percent tuition refund is made. A 50 percent tuition refund is made upon withdrawal from a class on or before the 15th class day, and a 25 percent tuition refund is made if withdrawal is made on or before the 20th class day.

Return of Federal Financial Aid. A student who withdraws from the University before the 60% point in the enrollment period (summer, fall or spring) may have to return a prorated portion of the financial aid he or she received or that TCU received on his or her behalf. Detailed information about the federal policy on the "Return of Title IV Funds" is available in the financial aid office.

Types of Financial Aid

Several types of financial aid are available to full-time graduate students. Applicants must be admissible to a graduate program, have an outstanding academic record and present favorable recommendations. Students admitted conditionally are not normally eligible for graduate financial aid until all conditions have been met. The appropriate academic dean makes specific financial aid appointments.

In general, assistantships carry either a partial or full tuition grant and a stipend. Fellowships carry stipends and tuition remission. No student may hold both a fellowship and any other assistantship concurrently. Inquiries regarding graduate financial aid may be directed to the approriate school/college. The following appointments are available:

Graduate Assistantships provide a partial tuition grant, (some include a stipend), and may require performance of departmental duties.

Teaching, Research, or Departmental Assistantships provide tuition and a stipend for the academic year for teaching assignments, or equivalent research and/or departmental duties. The maximum assignment is two classes or three labs each semester, or equivalent research duties or a combination of research and teaching duties.

Fellowships, available in the doctoral programs in chemistry, English, history, physics and astronomy and psychology, provide tuition grants and a stipend and require no duties. Appointments in English and History are for 9 months; in other departments they are for 12 months.

Information Services Traineeships provide tuition and stipends for an academic year. These appointments require half-time duties in Information Services and are available to graduate students regardless of field or specialization. Summer half-time appointments are available to holders of these traineeships.

M. J. Neeley School of Business offers a limited number of scholarships that do not include a work requirement.

School of Education. Because many graduate students in the School of Education are employed full-time while pursuing their M.Ed. degree, a part-time tuition assistance program (TAP) is available on a limited scale. A limited number of scholarships are also offered.

Master of Liberal Arts. Students enrolled in the M.L.A. program receive a partial tuition grant. A spouse enrolled concurrently in the M.L.A. program receives a larger grant. For further information, contact the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.

City of Fort Worth employees are eligible to receive tuition assistance in accordance with the cooperative agreement between TCU and the City of Fort Worth. (Other employed students are encouraged to check with their employer to determine if scholarship or tuition assistance is provided for this program.) For additional information, contact the Graduate Financial Aid Advisor in the Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Aid.

Professional Development Grant (PDG) offers tuition awards to qualified part-time students wishing to pursue academic credit courses. Awards are given on a first-come, first-served basis. They may not be combined with other University-administered financial aid. For further information, contact the Graduate Financial Aid Advisor in the Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Aid.

Extramurally Funded Awards. Fellowships, traineeships and assistantships are available in connection with departmental research grants. Stipends vary.

Residence Hall Directorships. The hall director is a full-time staff member employed by the Office of Residential Living and Housing. Appointments are made annually for the 20 positions, which are available for members of either sex, regardless of marital status.

While holding the position of a full-time staff member, the hall director may pursue limited graduate or undergraduate studies in any area of the University. Since he or she cannot expect to pursue a full-time course of study, a master's or doctoral degree program may take more time than normal.

The hall director receives a 9-month salary. University living quarters are provided during the period of employment. Additionally, this position offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience with students in the University setting. A limited number of Residence Hall Directorships are available for the summer as well.

A special application form for residence hall directorships may be requested from the Director of Residential Services, TCU Box 297360, Fort Worth, Texas 76129.

Terms of Appointment

1. An appointee must enroll as a full-time graduate student each semester and summer session during which a stipend or tuition grant is drawn. In exceptional circumstances, provisions might be made for part-time students. Otherwise, if the appointee drops courses that cause the enrollment to fall below the minimum full-time academic load, he or she will be requested to vacate the appointment.

2. Students enrolled in a Three-Two Program must have completed all requirements for the undergraduate degree in order to receive graduate financial aid.

3. If a student's graduate work is not satisfactory, the appointment may be terminated.

4. Recipients of awards are required to pay the fees required of all other students and any tuition not covered by the award.

5. Outside employment for students holding financial aid carrying stipends is discouraged. The University assumes that the student's primary obligation is toward graduate study. The program director and the dean of the appropriate school/college reserve the right to review any outside employment and require that the student modify the commitment to the outside employment or relinquish the financial aid appointment.

6. The tuition remission grant is to be used during the duration of the appointment and may not be carried over for another term or semester.

7. The tuition remission grant covers courses that will be credited toward the student's degree. This may include prerequisites set by the department.

NOTE: In general, any payment to a student in return for providing services to TCU that are not directly related to the students overall educational progress, is considered compensation for employment and is therefore taxable.

The paragraph above is a statement of general applicability. It is not to be construed as legal advice. Students seeking particular advice should consult with the appropriate university officials and/or seek competent professional assistance.

Procedures for Applying for Fellowships and Assistantships
Some departments require a special application form for financial aid in addition to the regular application for admission. This form, available from the appropriate dean's office and/or on the web site, may be submitted at the same time as the application for admission.

Fellowship and assistantship applications for the fall semester are due between the 1st of February and the 15th of March, depending on the department. Contact the appropriate dean's office for deadlines. Appointments are announced by April 15. Initial appointments are not usually available for the spring and summer semesters.

TCU adheres to the following Resolution of the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States:

"Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer."

Graduate Education of Ex-Service Men and Women
The benefits available to undergraduate veterans are also available for graduate students. These matters will be cleared through the Veterans Certification Officer, Room 17, Sadler Hall, TCU.

Federal and State Student Financial Aid
Graduate students may be eligible for the State Tuition Equalization Grant (for Texas residents), the Federal Work-Study Program, or the Federal Student Loan programs. Interested applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by March 15 for fall entry and September 1 for spring entry to ensure the results are received by TCU's deadlines of May 1 and November 1 respectively. Grant and Work-Study funds are limited and may not be available after established deadlines.

Graduate applicants eligible for the Federal Stafford Loan may select TCU as their lender. For borrowers who choose TCU as lender, TCU will pay the 3% origination fee that is charged to the student by the federal government. This results in a zero fee loan with borrower savings of up to $555.00 per year. After a student has been awarded and has accepted a loan on, notification will be received by e-mail explaining the Loans By Web application process. To select TCU as lender, enter the lender ID 834140 during completion of the Loans By Web application process.

Applicants selected for verification will be required to submit a copy of the previous year's federal tax return. Additional documents may be required in individual cases. Contact the Graduate Financial Aid Advisor in the Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Aid, TCU Box 297012, for additional information. The following Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Policy applies to graduate students receiving state or federal aid (including loans).

Financial Aid Statement of Satisfactory Academic Progress for Graduate Students Participating in Federal or State Financial Aid Programs
All students are required to maintain certain requirements to receive financial aid. Credit hours attempted, credit hours completed and TCU grade point average are reviewed in June to determine whether satisfactory progress is being maintained. Additionally, a student on Academic Warning will be reviewed at the conclusion of each academic semester.

The following points outline the requirements for satisfactory progress and how these requirements are monitored.

Section I-Full-Time Graduate Student
A. Complete and receive academic credit for at least 18 hours annually.

B. Maintain minimum TCU grade point average necessary for continued enrollment in the graduate programs as determined by the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled.

C. Not be on academic warning for a second semester.

Section II-Part-Time Graduate Student (Less than 9 hours/semester)
A. Complete and receive academic credit for a prorated percentage of the number of hours for which enrolled, compared to full-time enrollment.

B. Maintain minimum TCU grade point average necessary for continued enrollment in the graduate program as determined by the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled.

C. Not be on academic warning for a second semester.

Section III-Criteria Used To Evaluate Grades
A. The following will be counted as credits competed:

C - if offset by an "A" in the same semester or a subsequent semester
P- if counted toward degree completion
B. The following will not be considered as credits completed:
W or Q
I (except when applied to Thesis or Dissertation hours)

Section IV-Schedule of Completion of Degree Requirements
Full-time is normally defined as nine semester hours of course work per semester. However, a student in full-time research and enrolled in 3 hours of thesis or 6 hours of dissertation, will be considered full-time. A maximum of five years is permitted for the completion of a master's degree program and six years for the completion of a doctoral degree program after candidacy. Transfer work is normally not accepted and must be approved by the chair of the department and the dean of the school/college.

Section V-Financial Assistance Probation
A student will be expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in Section(s) I-IV while in attendance. If a student does not progress at the required rate, he/she will be placed on financial aid probation. Should the student not obtain the required elements to remove himself/herself from probation or if the student is placed on academic warning a second time, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension (See Section VI).

Section VI-Financial Assistance Suspension

Financial assistance suspension is the loss of aid for a specific period. The student will not be allowed to participate in any state or federal programs, including all educational loan programs. A student will remain on financial aid suspension until he/she is removed from academic warning.

Section VII-Appeals Procedure

If a student is denied federal or state financial aid because of a lack of satisfactory academic progress, he/she may appeal the denial of such assistance. The appeal must be made in writing to the Scholarship Advisory Committee. (Appeal applications are available in the Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Aid.) The Scholarship Committee will meet in mid-July and mid-August to review appeals for the fall semester and in early January for the spring semester. Appeals must be received in the financial aid office by July 1 for the July meeting and August 1 for the August meeting. Contact the Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Aid for the deadline to submit appeals for the January meeting. The student will be notified of the decision as soon as possible after the Committee meets.

Section VIII-Reinstatement of Financial Aid

If an appeal for federal or state financial aid is not approved or if a student does not appeal, one of the following conditions must be satisfied before the student is eligible to receive federal or state financial aid again:
A student must attend TCU without the benefit of federal or other financial aid (See "Financial Assistance Suspension", Section VI for duration).
In addition to maintaining the grade point average, the student must also satisfy the requirements of the "Schedule of Degree Requirements" (see Section IV) before aid is reinstated.

Master's Degree Requirements

In addition to the general academic regulations, the particular requirements of the master's degree are given below and in the separate listings for departments and programs.

Residence Requirement
The minimum residence requirement for all master's degrees is two consecutive long semesters or their equivalent.

Transfer Credit
Limited graduate credit earned from another accredited college or university will be considered for transfer to a master's program at TCU. Written request for transfer credit, with appropriate transcripts, should be made at the time of application for admission. Such credit must be applicable to the student's program as determined by his or her adviser, carry at least a "B" grade, and be residence credit, not extension or correspondence. Six semester hours of transfer credit usually is all that will be accepted, but under special circumstances additional hours may be considered subject to approval by the chair of the major department and the dean of the school/college.

Permission to interrupt residence to earn graduate credit elsewhere for use on a TCU degree must be approved in advance with a formal request addressed to the dean and conferral with the department involved.

Additional Master's Degree
To pursue an additional master's degree, the student must apply and be admitted to the additional master's program. All prerequisites, conditions, and requirements of the additional degree must be followed. With approval of the academic dean of the additional degree, up to nine (9) graduate credits from another master's degree may be applied to the additional degree. Only non-thesis credits will be considered for such application to the additional degree. All credits applied toward the additional degree must be earned within five (5) calendar years following matriculation for the additional degree.

Advisory Committee (Not applicable to the M.B.A. or M.L.A. program.)
An advisory committee of three faculty members is appointed by the dean for each graduate student after completion of the equivalent of a full semester of graduate work, usually 12 hours.

Until the student receives notice of the appointment of an advisory committee, he or she should consider the chair of the major department as the adviser, unless the department otherwise makes provision.

Admission to Candidacy (Not applicable to the M.B.A. or M.L.A. program.)
A student pursuing a master's degree will have a petition to candidacy prepared by the dean's office after 9 or more hours of course work have been completed, and after all conditions to admission have been met, including the pertinent aptitude test records, departmental or other required examinations, and foreign language requirements, if any. The student does not need to make a formal request for candidacy.

Registration for the second half of the thesis will not be accepted until all requirements for candidacy have been fulfilled. Until that time the student is not considered a candidate for a degree.

Intent to Graduate
At the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to graduate, an Intent to Graduate form should be filed with the appropriate dean's office. In the event that graduation cannot be completed, a cancellation form must be filed in the dean's office. An Intent to Graduate form must be refiled in case of postponement. A non-refundable graduation fee, which includes all graduation costs except the microfilming or binding of a thesis, is charged when the intent is filed.

Thesis Preparation
The thesis required in many of the master's degree programs represents the climax of the student's program and is expected to demonstrate thoroughness of research, keenness of analysis, and effectiveness of expression.

A student is required to register for at least 6 hours of thesis, and must register for at least one hour during any fall or spring semester in which the student is working with committee members or using University facilities. Check specific department listings for further restrictions. During the summer the student must enroll for at least one thesis hour during at least one of the summer sessions. In addition, the student must enroll for at least one hour of thesis in the semester in which he or she plans to complete the thesis and take the final oral examination.

General instructions for preparing and presenting theses should be obtained from the appropriate dean's office well in advance of the actual thesis writing. The form presented in the manual should be followed in all cases unless a recognized professional variation is authorized by the major department under agreement with the dean.

The thesis subject must be approved by the advisory committee, who should be consulted frequently in the progress of the thesis so that proper guidance may be given. All members of the committee should approve the thesis draft before the final typed copies are made. Students should particularly note the special deadlines for thesis preparation and distribution. These deadlines may be obtained each semester from the dean's office.

The usual process requires submission of four copies of the thesis. After final approval, the first and second copies are deposited with the TCU library and the third copy presented to the department or thesis director. The fourth copy will be returned to the student. There is a required fee for binding the two library copies of the thesis. The student will pay an additional binding fee for any other copies he or she wishes to have bound. However, electronic submission capability is expected during 2005-2006. The student should check with the dean's office before preparing the final documents as the final submission process is subject to change.

Final Oral Examinations
Where master's degrees require a final oral examination the exam will cover all work taken for the degree, including the thesis, if any. The examining committee will be composed of the candidate's advisory committee, and others as may be designated by the major department. The examination may not take place later than the date listed in the Deadlines for Graduate Students each semester.

The candidate must show satisfactory completion of all courses in the degree program, except those in progress, before the oral examination may be given. Only one re-examination on a failed oral will be permitted, the date to be set at the discretion of the examining committee. In addition to the final oral examination, written examinations may be required at the discretion of the major department.

A student must be enrolled for a minimum of one hour of credit during any term (fall, spring, or any one of the three summer sessions) in which the student is using University facilities, working with faculty or taking the final oral examination.

Summer Completion of Degree Programs
A student planning to complete the thesis and/or oral examinations during the summer, particularly during the second 5-week term, should check with advisory committee members prior to the end of the spring semester to affirm that their schedules will make them available during that period.

Time Limit
The student is expected to complete work, including thesis if required, within a period of five years from the date of the earliest credit to be counted on the degree (including transfer credit, if any). See M.J. Neeley School of Business "Program Length" for its requirement.

Extension of time must be applied for in writing through the chair of the major department who will then make a recommendation to the dean of the school/college. The letter should explain why the degree was not completed within the time limit and should present a schedule for completing the program.
Additional courses may be assigned to students who do not complete the degree within the time limit.

Ph.D. Degree Requirements

Program of Study
The Ph.D. degree is essentially a research degree. Although course work is a necessary part of the program, the mere accumulation of course credits will not be sufficient for attaining this degree.

The Ph.D. degree may be completed in three years at the minimum. Under the minimum program, the first two years will be given to course work, seminars and related research. The third year primarily will encompass dissertation research. Students whose preparation is incomplete or who will be engaged in part-time teaching or paid research will extend their programs accordingly. In such cases, a four- or five-year program would not be unusual.

A master's degree is not necessarily prerequisite to candidacy for the Ph.D. degree. A student entering a doctoral program after obtaining a master's degree would normally be classified as being in the second year of graduate study, as defined below.

Departments may, at their discretion, require that a formal minor be included in the total program. A formal minor requires at least 6 hours credit beyond the master's or 12 hours beyond the bachelor's degree.

All students in the doctoral programs are required to do a certain amount of teaching or research, appropriate to the goals of the student, as part of their training for the advanced degree.

Students must register for course work or dissertation in each semester or summer session during which they utilize University research facilities or occupy a library carrel.

Residence Requirement
The second year or its equivalent must be completed in continuous full-time residence at TCU. Residence should not include dissertation hours.

"Second year" is defined as the period equivalent to the second year of a minimum three-year program. "Residence" is defined as attendance at on-campus classes or on-campus directed study. "Full time," in general, requires that a student be enrolled for a minimum of 9 hours of graduate courses per semester or its equivalent in a combination of coursework, teaching and research.

Residence must be the academic year of consecutive fall and spring semesters.

Foreign Language Requirement
Individual departments specify the conditions and policies for meeting foreign language requirements. Consult the departmental graduate adviser for this information.
Any one of the following may satisfy the general requirement of the University for proficiency in a foreign language:

1. Recent completion of the second college year of an approved language with an average of "B" grade minimum.

2. Demonstration of reading knowledge by an examination administered by the student's major department, with the examination over selected literature in the student's major field.

3. Presentation of a certificate of completion of a similar foreign language examination for another graduate school.

4. Presentation of satisfactory scores on the Graduate Foreign Language Test of the Educational Testing Service.

The foreign language requirement must be satisfied prior to admission to candidacy. An international student may request that his or her native language be accepted, but it must be one which is needed for research at TCU. He or she must demonstrate ability to translate this language into English and, if no examiner is available in the foreign languages department, pay any required fee for employment of an approved interpreter. The substitution must have the approval of the chairman of the major department and the dean of the college.

Advisory Committee
An advisory committee of at least four persons will be assigned to the doctoral student by the dean on the recommendation of the major department. The committee will be appointed early during the second year and should consist of those persons under whom the student will take his or her qualifying examinations, including at least one person from the minor field, if any. This committee, with the student's dissertation director as chair, formulates the remainder of the student's program of study and submits it to the dean for approval.

Qualifying or Preliminary Examinations
All doctoral programs require some form of qualifying or preliminary examinations. It is the purpose of these examinations to evaluate the student's capability for advanced creative analysis and synthesis in the major specialization and in the related disciplines. The qualifying examination may not be taken earlier than the second semester of the second year of the student's graduate program. If language requirements exist, at least one language requirement must be completed prior to taking the qualifying examination. This examination will cover the major field, designated sub-fields and minor, if any. It must be written, or written and oral.

Only one re-examination will be permitted, and this only after such time interval and under such conditions of additional study as the advisory committee may decide. Each student should consult the departmental requirements listed in the "Courses of Instruction" section for specific information regarding the type of examination, the fields to be covered and the expected completion date.

Admission to Candidacy
A student becomes a "candidate" for the Ph.D. degree upon passing the qualifying or preliminary examinations and meeting the foreign language requirements of the department, provided he or she has also made up any course deficiencies and the Graduate Record Examination scores have been recorded. The student does not need to make a formal request for candidacy.

Intent to Graduate
At the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to graduate, An Intent to Graduate form should be filed with the appropriate dean's office. In the event that graduation cannot be completed, a cancellation form must be filed in the dean's office. An Intent to Graduate form must be refiled in case of postponement. A non-refundable graduation fee, which includes all graduation costs except the microfilming or binding of a dissertation, is charged when the intent is filed.

Dissertation Preparation
A dissertation is required in all doctoral programs. It must demonstrate superior research abilities, capacity for sound independent analysis and judgment and effectiveness of expression. A student is required to register for at least 12 semester hours of dissertation and must register for at least one hour during any fall or spring semester in which the student is working with committee members or using University facilities. Check specific department listings for further restrictions. During the summer the student must enroll for at least one dissertation hour during at least one of the summer sessions. In addition, the student must enroll for at least one hour during any fall or spring semester in which he or she plans to complete the dissertation and take the final oral examination.

Registration for the first half of the dissertation will not be accepted until the major department notifies the dean's office in writing that the student is eligible for dissertation registration. Registration for the second half will not be accepted until the student has been admitted to candidacy, and until that time the student is not considered a candidate for a degree.

Instructions for preparing and presenting dissertations and copy preparation for microfilming are available from the appropriate dean's office. Students should obtain a copy of the manual well in advance of actual dissertation writing, and should follow it in detail. The form given in the manual should be followed in all cases unless a recognized professional variation is authorized by the major department under agreement with the dean.

As early as possible each student should initiate a program of individual reading and study leading to the selection and development of the dissertation research. This program should proceed under the supervision of the chair and other members of the advisory committee. At least three, and preferably all, members of the committee should approve the draft of the dissertation before the final copies are made. The student should note the special deadlines for dissertation preparation and distribution available each semester.

The usual process requires students to submit the original and one copy of the dissertation for binding and placement in the TCU library. University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Mich., will microfilm an extra-unbound copy and a 350-word abstract, and the abstract will appear in Dissertation Abstracts. The resulting copy of the dissertation will be available for purchase by all that request it. Copyright may be obtained; the fee for this optional service is paid by the student.

University Microfilms will return the unbound copy to the TCU library, for disposition as the student indicates. There is a required fee for publishing the abstract, microfilming the dissertation, placing a positive copy of the microfilm in the TCU library and binding the original and second copies. In addition, the student will pay the binding fee for any other copies he or she wishes to have bound.

Students usually submit a minimum of five copies of the dissertation. The first two are deposited with the TCU library, the third is given to the dissertation director, and the fourth and fifth copies are returned to the student. The student should check with the dean's office before preparing the final documents as the submission process is subject to change. Electronic submission capability is expected during 2005-2006.

Final Oral Examination
Each candidate for a doctoral degree must take a final examination covering the dissertation and related fields. The examining committee will be composed of the candidate's advisory committee and others as may be designated by the major department. The final oral examination will be announced and open for audit to the graduate faculty and to others invited by the advisory committee. The examination may not be held later than the date listed in the Special Deadlines for Graduate Students.

Only one re-examination on a failed oral examination will be permitted, the date to be set at the discretion of the examining committee.

A student must be enrolled for a minimum of one hour of credit during any term (fall, spring, or any one of the three summer sessions) in which the student is using University facilities, working with faculty or taking the final oral examination.

Time Limit
The work for the Ph.D. degree must be completed within six years after the student has been admitted to candidacy. Extension of time must be applied for in writing through the chair of the major department who will then make a recommendation to the appropriate dean. The letter should explain why the degree was not completed within the time limit and should present a schedule for completing the program.

Policies and Procedures

Students must be enrolled as graduate students to be eligible to receive graduate credit. Graduate students planning to enroll for courses offered outside the unit in which they will receive their degree must receive written permission to enroll from a representative of the unit offering the course. Permission to enroll must be obtained prior to enrollment. Failure to receive prior written permission may result in cancelled enrollment because of space or program requirements.

All students and prospective students are responsible for consulting and following the Academic Calendar which includes dates for the registration periods.

Adding Courses/Schedule Changes
The Academic Calendar specifies the last day for adding or changing courses each semester and each summer term. Any changes in schedule after the posted deadlines, including section changes, requires permission from the student's dean.

Withdrawal from Class
The purpose of student-initiated withdrawal from courses is to enhance the learning opportunity in a program of study. On recognition that a student may lack the background needed for the mastery of course content, the subject matter in a course does not match student need or interest as anticipated, or that course requirements will limit effective appropriation of learning in a semester's overall program of study, a student may officially withdraw from a course and receive a "W" in accordance with the policy stated below.

Mere absence from a class does not constitute withdrawal. In order to withdraw from a course, a student must go through official established procedure.

By following established procedures, students may withdraw from any class until five (5) academic days (fall and spring semesters only) following the published date mid-semester reports of unsatisfactory work are due to the Registrar. Consult the official academic calendar for withdraw dates during summer terms. The date of withdrawal for all purposes, including tuition adjustment, shall be the date of official withdrawal.

There will be no withdrawals after this date during the fall and spring semesters, or a comparable period during a shorter term.

Any student who experiences unusual hardship may seek special consideration through a written petition to the dean of the school/college in which he/she is enrolled. Petitions should, where possible, be documented with supporting statements from a doctor, counselor or family member. That a student is doing unsatisfactory work in a course will not be taken as sufficient reason for special consideration. If, in the opinion of the dean, the request is justified, a grade of "Q" (dropped by the dean's permission) may be assigned by the dean after consultation with (1) the instructor of the course, (2) the chair of the department and (3) the dean of the school/college in which the course is offered. Any dean assigning a "Q" will notify the Registrar's Office.

Academic Load and Full-Time Status
A student must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 hours of graduate courses to be considered a full-time resident student. However, 12 or more hours are required in some programs to meet the special regulations under which some students attend; these cases will be considered individually by the department chair and the appropriate dean. A graduate student registering for a total of six semester hours during the three summer terms will be considered a full-time graduate student.

If a student has successfully completed all course work including thesis and dissertation hours and lacks only the thesis or dissertation completion, he or she must be engaged in full-time research and be enrolled for a minimum of 1 hour of thesis or dissertation credit during any fall or spring semester in which the student is working with his or her committee or using University facilities. A student working with the committee or using University facilities during the summer must enroll for at least one thesis or dissertation hour during one summer session. In addition, the student must enroll for at least one hour of thesis or dissertation in the semester during which he or she plans to complete the thesis or dissertation and take the final oral examination.

A student holding a full-time teaching assistantship or a fellowship may, upon consultation and approval of the department chair and the appropriate dean, be regarded as a full-time student if enrolled for a minimum of 9 hours of graduate work for credit or its equivalent in a combination of course work and research and/or teaching.

A graduate student doing no outside work may carry a maximum of 15 semester hours during each of the fall and spring semesters.

The University reserves the right to suspend or restrict the re-enrollment of any student who demonstrates that he or she is suffering an emotional, nervous or mental disorder or impairment which renders the student unable to profit from or contribute to the educational program of the University or which is harmful or disruptive to others.

Audit Enrollment
Auditors are admitted to classes on a space-available basis only. A non-refundable audit fee is charged. Students wishing to audit graduate courses must be admitted for graduate study in the appropriate program and have written approval of the instructor of the course for which they wish to register. Non-degree graduate students wanting to audit graduate courses must be admitted to graduate study through the dean of the appropriate school/college and have written approval of the instructor of the course prior to registration. Students wishing to audit MLA courses must be admitted to the MLA program and have written permission from the instructor of the course prior to registration. The following regulations are applicable:

1. Laboratory and clinical classes, Day Ranch Management classes, laboratory sections of lecture classes, activity and performance classes such as the various studio art courses, music performance courses, and ballet classes may not be audited.

2. Registration to audit or change a credit class to audit is from the second day of late registration to the last day of late registration as published in the university calendar.

3. Classroom recitation and participation may be restricted at the discretion of the instructor; no grade is assigned and no credit is awarded.

4. If credit is desired, the student must register for and repeat the regular course after paying regular tuition.

5. The student's name will appear on the instructor's class roll. In order for "AU" to appear on the transcript, however, the instructor must certify at the end of the semester that the student has attended as an auditor. Audits not certified by the instructor as a final grade will be omitted from the student record.

6. Students who wish to take courses for audit in addition to credit courses should use the add/drop process to add the audit class(es).

Part-Time Attendance
Although the University encourages full-time graduate study, registration for part-time study is appropriate in several degree programs including business, education, MLA and others.

Evening Classes
In some fields, graduate work is offered in evening classes; in others, the work is given in day classes only. Prospective students should consult the schedule of classes for graduate courses offered during the evening. To receive graduate credit for such courses, students must register through the appropriate school/college and not the Office of Extended Education.

Summer Enrollment
A student may not enroll in more than 3 hours in the mini-term or more than 6 hours during either a five-week term or eight-week term. When enrollment includes both an eight-week term and either a mini- or five-week term, the student's enrollment may not exceed a total of 9 hours.

Graduate Credit
All credits applied to a graduate degree must be of graduate or senior-graduate rank; at least half of all course work, inclusive of thesis or dissertation, must be of graduate rank (i.e., courses with a first digit of "6" or higher).

Graduate students taking courses of "50000" rank will be required to do extra work as assigned by the instructor.

In departments listing 50000, 60000, and/or 70000 level courses, no more than 12 to 15 hours may be accrued toward the master's degree at the 50000 level. Ph.D. students must have departmental approval. No 50000 level course may be taken for credit at TCU by an MBA student unless approved on an exception basis by the MBA Academic Program Director.

No graduate credit is given for courses of less than 50000 rank taken at TCU. No graduate credit is given for undergraduate courses taken at TCU or elsewhere.

Academic Rating System
The definition of grades and grade points is as follows:

A - Exceptional - 4 points/hour
B - Good - 3 points/hour
C - Marginal - 2 points/hour
F - Failing - 0 points/hour
I - Incomplete
P - Pass
NC - No Credit
W - Withdrew
Q - Dropped by permission of the dean
AU - Audit

A grade of "C" in a graduate course will not be accepted toward satisfaction of degree requirements unless it is offset by a grade of "A" in another graduate course carrying at least the same number of credit hours. In addition, graduate students must maintain a grade-point-average of at least 3.0 in accordance with the provisions described below under "Academic Warning." All grades of "C" or less will be included in the computation of the grade-point average, but no more than two "C" grades may be utilized in satisfying degree requirements. Schools and colleges may have more restrictive policies regarding marginal and failing grades. Students are advised to consult the policies of their specific programs.

An "I" grade is recorded when the student and instructor have determined that the work required for a course cannot be completed within the term of enrollment due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. Under no circumstances will a grade of "I" be given to avoid earning a grade of "F" for the course.

The "I" (Incomplete) grade must be removed within the first sixty days of the regular semester immediately following or it is changed to an "F." Any extension of this time must have the written approval of the instructor and dean. This policy does not apply to graduate thesis, thesis-recital and dissertation hours.

"I" grades on theses and dissertations are removed by special reporting forms when the student completes the work.

The grading policies and regulations of the school or college of a student's major apply to his or her academic studies.

Grade Point Average
Two grade point averages are maintained by Texas Christian University: (1) a semester average based on courses taken at TCU during a particular term, and (2) a cumulative average based on all work attempted at TCU. A student's grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of grade points (grade points earned per semester hour for the successful completion of academic work) by the number of hours (total credit hours attempted at TCU, excluding those attempted on a pass/no credit basis).

Transfer Credit.
Transfer credit is added to the total number of cumulative earned hours. Transfer credit hours may satisfy degree requirements but are not used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA.

Pass/No Credit.
Pass/no credit courses are disregarded in the calculation of the student's GPA.

Academic Warning
(Refer to M.J. Neeley School of Business for further information regarding MBA grade point requirements.)

Full-Time Students

A graduate student who achieves a grade point average of less than 3.0 in any semester or term will be placed on Academic Warning. A student can be removed from that status by achieving a 3.0 cumulative average by the end of the next nine hours of enrollment. If the student should fail to do so, further enrollment will be granted only by the special recommendation of the chair of the department concerned and with the permission of the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled.

Part-Time Students

Graduate students enrolled for less than a full load will be placed on Academic Warning when their accumulated part-time course load totals at least nine hours and falls below a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. A student can be removed from that status by achieving a 3.0 cumulative average by the end of the next nine hours of enrollment. If the student should fail to do so, further enrollment will be granted only by the special recommendation of the chair of the department concerned and with the permission of the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled.

Dismissal, Suspension, or Expulsion for Lack of Academic Progress or Professional Misconduct
Students may be dismissed from individual courses with a grade of "F" for lack of academic progress or for conduct deemed to be contrary to the professional or ethical standards of a field upon the recommendation of the responsible faculty member and the approval of the appropriate academic dean.

At such times as the student fails to meet acceptable standards of academic performance or has engaged in professional misconduct, at the discretion of the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled, the student may be (1) dismissed or suspended from a program of study and/or (2) expelled from the University.

If a student is dismissed, suspended, or expelled from the University, an appropriate grade or designation will be recorded for each course in progress as determined by the dean with oversight for the course in consultation with the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled.

Foreign Language Examination
Each student must check on foreign language requirements and any special deadlines for their completion. The language examination, when required, is administered by the student's major department. The student is responsible for scheduling the time of the examination with the department.

Conferring of Degrees
Degrees are conferred by TCU at the close of the fall and spring semesters and at the conclusion of the summer session. Commencement exercises are held only at the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters. Students graduating in May or December must make arrangements to have examinations completed 72 hours prior to commencement exercises.

Transcripts of Academic Records
Students and former students may request official transcripts of their TCU academic record from the Office of the Registrar for a transcript processing fee. All transcript requests must be made by the student and must be in writing. Adequate notice, normally one week, is required for transcript processing. Transcripts will not be released unless the student has satisfied all financial obligations to the University.

Interpretation of Course Numbers
Each course is assigned a five-digit number. The first digit indicates the level at which the course is offered (5 for senior and graduate; 6, 7, 8 and 9 for graduate only). The second, third, and fourth digits distinguish one course from another within the same department. The fifth digit indicates semester hour credit; when the fifth digit is zero, it is either variable credit, non-credit or the credit includes a fraction. Thus Biology 50113 is a senior and graduate level course (first digit) for three semester hours credit (fifth digit). The three middle digits identify it as Cellular Physiology.

Procedures for Students with Disabilities
Texas Christian University complies with the Americans With Disabilities Act and with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 regarding students with disabilities. No otherwise qualified individual shall be denied access to or participation in the services, programs and activities of TCU solely on the basis of a disability. The University shall provide reasonable accommodations for each eligible student who (a) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, (b) has a record or history of such an impairment, or (c) is regarded as having such an impairment.

Each eligible student is responsible for presenting relevant, verifiable, professional documentation and/or assessment reports to the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities. Information concerning a student's disability is treated in a confidential manner in accordance with University policies as well as applicable federal and state laws. Documentation presented to the Coordinator shall be reviewed by appropriate University professional(s) to verify the existence of a disability. Further documentation may be required from the student to substantiate the claim of a disability or to assist the University in determining appropriate accommodations. The Coordinator for Students with Disabilities may be contacted in the Center for Academic Services located in Sadler Hall, room 11 or at (817)257-7486.

Eligible students seeking accommodations should contact the Coordinator as soon as possible in the academic term for which they are seeking accommodations. The Coordinator will prepare letters to appropriate faculty members concerning specific, reasonable academic adjustments for the student. The student is responsible for delivering accommodations letters, conferring with faculty members, and returning validation of the receipt of information to the Coordinator. The Coordinator consults with the student and with University faculty and staff to ensure delivery of appropriate support services and serves as liaison between the student and the faculty member as needed.

Students who wish to appeal a decision regarding appropriate accommodations shall do so in writing to the Affirmative Action Officer, who shall decide the appeal. The Affirmative Action Officer's decision may be appealed within 7 calendar days in writing to the Provost, whose decision may be appealed in writing within 7 calendar days directly to the Chancellor. At any step during such an appeal, the person deciding the appeal may confidentially consult with appropriate professionals/advisors within or outside the University.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
This Federal law states (a) that a written institutional policy must be established and (b) that a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available. The law provides that the institution maintain the confidentiality of student education records.

The University accords all the rights under the law to its students. Students wishing access to a complete copy of the regulation and the University policy governing their educational records may do so at these locations: Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Sadler Hall Room 302; Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Sadler Hall Room 310; Dean of Campus Life Room 101; Registrar, Sadler Hall Room 17; or Scholarship and Financial Aid, Salder Hall Room 108.

There are six rights, which are summarized here:

1. The Right to Be Informed. The University will give the students an annual notice of their rights and where copies of the policy may be reviewed.

2. The Right to Inspect. Students may inspect information contained in their educational record provided they make a written request to the custodian of the records. The request must be granted no later than 45 days from the receipt of the request.

3. Right to Limited Control of Release. No one outside the institution shall have access to, nor will the University disclose identifiable information from the educational records without written consent of the students, except directory information or other exceptions permitted by the Act, which the student has not refused to permit the University to disclose.

4. Right to Request a Change. Students may request that the record be amended if they feel the information is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the rights of privacy. The University will decide whether to change the record. The student may place a rebuttal in the record.

5. Right to a Hearing. If the University chooses not to amend the record, the student may request a hearing. The request must be in writing to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The student will be notified of the time, date and place of the hearing.

6. Right to Report Alleged Violations. Students who feel their rights have been abridged may file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20201.

At its discretion TCU may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of the Act to include: student name, address, telephone number, email address, image, name of parents of dependent students, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, participation in officially recognized activities and sports and weight and height of members of athletic teams. It is also permissible for the University to release information from a student's educational record to a parent, provided the student is a "dependent" as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Students may withhold directory information by notifying the Registrar in writing. Requests for non-disclosure will be honored for only one academic year; therefore, authorization to withhold directory information must be filed annually in the Office of the Registrar.

Drug Abuse Policy
Students enrolled in TCU are subject to disciplinary action for the possession, manufacture, use, sale or distribution (by either sale or gift) of any quantity of any prescription drug or controlled substance or for being under the influence of any prescription drug or controlled substance, except for the use of an over-the-counter medication or for the prescribed use of medication in accordance with the instructions of a licensed physician. Controlled substances include, but are not limited to, marijuana, cocaine, cocaine derivatives, heroin, amphetamines, barbiturates, LSD, PCP and substances typically known as "designer drugs" such as "ecstasy" or "eve." Possession of paraphernalia associated with the use, possession or manufacture of a prescription drug or controlled substance is also prohibited.

The minimum penalty for a first-time violation of the Drug Abuse Policy for use or possession of a prescription drug or controlled substance will be disciplinary probation for a full year, and a requirement for participation in a drug abuse education and/or treatment program. Any student who violates the Drug Abuse Policy for use or possession of a prescription drug or controlled substance for a second time will be suspended from the University for at least one year. Possession of drug paraphernalia will subject a student to the same penalties as those imposed for use and possession of a prescription drug or controlled substance.

The penalty for a violation of the Drug Abuse Policy for sale, distribution or manufacture of a prescription drug or controlled substance will be permanent expulsion from the University.

Adults and minors who give alcohol to minors or buy alcohol for minors also face stiff penalties. The punishment for making alcoholic beverages available to a minor has been increased from a class C misdemeanor (fine only) to a class B misdemeanor (fine and/or jail).

A student who voluntarily seeks help for drug or alcohol abuse is not subject to disciplinary action; in fact, University officials will do everything they can to assist the student in obtaining appropriate treatment. If the student continues to use drugs, then he/she does become subject to disciplinary action.

Standards of Professional Behavior
Graduate students at Texas Christian University occupy a unique position in the student body. They are more mature individuals with a defined perspective for the future and a high degree of both motivation and ability. In some instances, they are both seeking advanced knowledge and transmitting knowledge through their assignments as teaching or research assistants. While preparing for the professional models characteristic of their chosen discipline, they also serve as models to others in the graduate student role. All of this brings a special obligation to evidence a level of conduct that is compatible with the University's goals to offer programs of excellence and to enrich both the community and humankind.

Graduate students are expected to be familiar with and adhere to the published academic policies, rules, regulations and procedures of the University as well as appropriate local, state and federal laws. The guiding principle is to conduct oneself in a manner that reflects well on the individual, the University and the academic process. The student is also expected to be responsible for his/her invited guests.

Violations of conduct relative to expected standards of professional behavior will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from the University. Violations are to be reported to the dean of the school/college in which he/she is enrolled, who will be responsible for investigating all allegations and recommending appropriate disciplinary actions.

Firearms and Deadly Weapons Policy
Texas Christian University is committed to providing a safe environment for employees, students and campus visitors. Therefore, the university, in accordance with the Texas Penal Code, prohibits the possession of any firearm or deadly weapon on university property or at university-sponsored events even if an individual has been issued a license by the state. Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action.

Medical History/Immunizations
Students attending TCU for the first time must complete a Medical History form including a record of immunizations before registration can be completed. All entering students born after 1957 are required to have had two doses of measles (Rubeola) vaccine after 12 months of age or provide proper verification that they have had the disease. The immunization must have been received after January 1, 1968, to be effective. In addition, within the 12 months prior to entering TCU, a Mantoux/TB Skin Test is required of all entering students.

Academic Services

The Library
Mary Couts Burnett Library provides information resources for inquiry, intellectual discovery, and the development of life-long learning skills in a people-centered environment. Students and faculty have access to over 1,000,000 books, CDs, DVDs, videos, and nearly 22,000 current journals, electronically and in paper. Over 300 databases, many of which include the full text of journal articles are available through the library's website ( Examples of popular databases are LexisNexis, Business Source Premier, and PsycINFO.

Materials are arranged according to the Library of Congress system in open stacks for convenient access to most items. Librarians and staff select, maintain and interpret the collections for Library users. A music library and audio center and the Brite Divinity Library are also located in the Library. Particular collections include Texas, United States and European Community documents; the Archives of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition; the papers of former Speaker of the House, James C. Wright, Jr.; the papers of Amon G. Carter, Sr.; the University's historical collection; and special collections of rare books and manuscripts such as the William Luther Lewis Collection of English and American Literature.

Reference Librarians (Library and research assistance) and Information Services Consultants (computing assistance) are available at the Information Commons ( located within the library over 100 hours a week. TCU's Center for Writing ( maintains an annex office in the Information Commons Computer Lab and has evening office hours. The Information Commons Computer Lab has over 104 computers, PC and MAC, along with 30 PC laptops available for use in the Library on FrogWave (campus WiFi network.)

Through active membership in local, regional and national library consortia the Library is able to secure for TCU faculty and students the advantages that come with library resource sharing. Our membership in TexShare enables TCU faculty and students to obtain borrowing privileges from more than 150 academic libraries throughout Texas.

Information Services

The central computing facility, located on the ground floor of the Sid W. Richardson Sciences Building, provides network connectivity throughout the campus and computer services and support for all levels of the University.

Using various client servers, Information Services provides support for all programs used by campus departments and supplies direct access to the Internet, the Library and specialized databases as required.

The Information Services staff is available through the TCU Information Commons Desk (817-257-5855). Services provided include consultation and assistance with computer problems. A newsletter (TCUSER) providing information about new services, products and support activities is published each semester. In addition, a wide selection of training materials for campus-supported software also is available. The Information Services administrative office is located in SWR Room 175, (817) 257-7682.

Information Commons

The TCU Information Commons, located on the first floor of the TCU Library, provides students, faculty and staff with technical, library reference, and writing assistance in an integrated digital environment. Professional staff members and specially trained students staff the TCU Information Commons. A computer lab within the commons provides 110+ networked Wintel and Macintosh workstations along with multi-media computers and high speed laser printers. Wireless laptops are available for checkout and use within the Library. Via the web, a virtual Information Commons provides access to online resources for the university library and information resources.

The William L. Adams Center for Writing

The Center for Writing offers assistance with writing projects and assignments to all TCU students. Staffed by professional writing instructors and peer consultants, the Center for Writing provides students with one-on-one tutorials free of charge. Conferences usually focus on a particular project or assignment but may also include general writing instruction.

Located in Suite 244 of the Rickel Academic Wing of the University Recreation Center, the Center for Writing is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students may make an appointment by calling (817) 257-7221 or can drop by and wait for the next available consultant. Students may also use the Center for Writing's annex at the library Monday through Friday 2 to 5:00 p.m., Saturday, noon to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday through Thursday evenings from 6 to 9 p.m. or they can take advantage of the on-line service available on the center's website at

Other Services

Health Center and Medical Services
The Brown Lupton Health Center consists of an outpatient clinic providing ambulatory care for the various needs of TCU students. During the Fall and Spring semesters, the clinic hours are 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Convenient and economical medical services are provided to full-time graduate students by a dedicated, well-qualified staff of physicians, nurses, and ancillary personnel. Spouse and dependents of students are not eligible for care at the Health Center.

Health Insurance
A major medical health insurance plan is available to graduate students and their dependents. The student may elect coverage by enrolling online at prior to the ELECT/WAIVE deadlines which occur at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. Eligible dependent(s) may be enrolled by a covered student who has completed a Dependent Enrollment Form obtained from the Health Center and by making the required payment in the Financial Services Office by the semester deadline.

International Students, regardless of classification, are required to carry the University-offered student health insurance as a minimum standard of coverage and are not eligible for a waiver of the insurance.

University Ministries
University Ministries is the visible focus for an ecumenical and inclusive ministry with students, faculty and staff. These ministries of worship, care for persons, social justice, fellowship, nurture and other dimensions seek to integrate matters of faith into the routine life and work of the University. The offices are on the first floor of the Student Center and are a gathering place for a full range of programs, services and ministries that enable respect for diverse beliefs.

Through direct involvement in campus organizations, residence halls, campus-wide events, or through personal interaction, University Ministries seeks to provide opportunities for ethical choice and to assist members of the TCU community to examine the implications of faith in our lives. University Chapel, held each Wednesday at noon during the regular University session, is a weekly opportunity to celebrate the ecumenical spirit of the Christian faith. Roman Catholic Mass is held weekly on Sunday evenings. A wide variety of study, retreats, fellowship, service, and care of persons is available through several denominational ministries as well as through the ecumenical expression of the Interfaith Council.

Many people find themselves in need of temporary or on-going pastoral care assistance to resolve personal, interpersonal, family, or other concerns. Strict confidentiality is maintained for these services and provided without charge.

Students, faculty and staff are urged to discover a local congregation for the important aspects of life in a gathered community of faith. Students of all creeds and faiths are welcome at TCU and in the programs of University Ministries. Direct assistance is provided in expressing individual traditions as well as making contact with community churches, temples, synagogues, mosques and congregations.

The Counseling Center
Located at the west entrance of the Health Center, Mental Health Services professional staff members provide psychological and psychiatric services on a short-term basis for TCU students. Students requiring long-term services will be referred to professionals off campus. The staff includes a full time medical doctor of psychiatry, clinical psychologists, and licensed professional counselors. Services are provided confidentially.

Services provided focus on helping students cope with personal concerns as they engage in their academic, social and personal activities. Typical student needs and concerns include learning to study more effectively, resolving interpersonal conflicts, managing stress, coping with loneliness, and handling feelings of depression, anxiety and other emotional crises.

Psychiatric medication management, individual, and group counseling services are available to assist students. In addition, presentations are made to residence halls, classes, and campus organizations on a wide variety of topics in mental health.

The Assessment Program of the Counseling Center helps students learn more about their aptitudes, achievements, interests, values, and personality. In cooperation with other campus departments, services are also available to students related to learning disabilities. The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and national tests for admission to graduate schools are administered by the Counseling Center.

Career Services
University Career Services (UCS) helps students and alumni identify and attain career goals. While students may use the services anytime during their academic experience, many begin exploring career options during the freshman year. The staff of University Career Services helps students evaluate interests, skills, experiences and values and then matches those to potential occupations. Computer resources and printed material in the career library provide opportunities to explore identified occupations. UCS staff are qualified to administer various career assessment instruments.

As students approach their job or internship search, the staff of University Career Services assists students to develop effective job search strategies and techniques through individual advising sessions, videotaped mock interviews, resume critiques and workshops.

Neeley Career Services. The Graduate Career Service Center (GCSC) offers total career management resources to MBA students in the Neeley School of Business at TCU. From the initial battery of assessments that helps a student identify his or her best career direction to celebrating a student's successful internship or job search, the GCSC provides individual and customized guidance and support to match each student's career needs and goals.

Students enrolled in the MBA, PMBA, EMBA, and MAc programs can utilize the GCSC to create effective self-marketing tools and learn executive skills in business networking, interviewing, and negotiating, as well as the finer points of business etiquette and professional presentation.

Job Listings. Over 50,000 summer, part-time, internship and full-time professional job vacancies are listed with University Career Services each year and are available on a password-protected site on the World Wide Web.

Resume Database. TCU uses on-line technology that allows students to register with University Career Services while producing high quality professional resumes. Thousands of resumes are electronically transmitted to employers who request this service annually.

On-campus Interviews. Each fall and spring semester, employers come to TCU to interview graduating seniors in all majors for full-time positions after graduation and sophomores and juniors for internship positions. Students must be registered with University Career Services in order to participate in these interviews. Career Fairs are offered to students and alumni for a variety of employment opportunities.

On-Campus Student Employment. TCU employs students in almost every department on campus. UCS assists students in locating on-campus jobs that are listed on the web page. Students who are seeking a position on campus should come to Career Services to learn how to conduct a proper job search as well as learn how to navigate the various university offices to complete the proper paperwork.

Transitional Programs. Making the transition from TCU to the world of work or graduate school is challenging to students. University Career Services provides particular programming for sophomores, juniors and seniors to help them prepare for this transition. Sophomore Spotlight helps second-year students explore potential occupations and/or academic majors and prepare for seeking internship positions. Junior Jumpstart, a one-day retreat held each spring offers advice to juniors to help them prepare for the job search or graduate school applications during their senior year. Topics include resume preparation, the job or graduate school interview, the graduate school application process, job search strategies and the etiquette of a business lunch. Seniors are offered the opportunity to spend a weekend at an area hotel during Senior Conference in January. Workshops and general sessions focus on succeeding in life after TCU with sessions on surviving the first year on the job or in graduate school, budgeting an entry-level salary, wardrobe planning, teamwork in the workplace, peer advice from recent graduates and training in the etiquette of a formal dining experience.

For more information or to use UCS at TCU, come to the Student Center Annex, call 817 257-7860 or visit the University Career Services webpages:

International Student Services
TCU has a comprehensive program to help international students adjust to a new living environment and to share their backgrounds with U.S. students.

The Office of International Student Services provides advice and assistance regarding immigration matters, academic, monetary and other personal concerns. It can help in establishing a relationship with a Community Friendship Family, in understanding U.S. culture, customs and laws and in student relations with the various administrative and departmental offices of the University.

The International Student Association (ISA) is an integral part of the University's International Student Program, providing social, educational and community opportunities for its members and is open to all students. International students are encouraged to become active members. All new international students automatically become members of the ISA upon completion of an information form during orientation.

All students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States are required to report their arrival to the Office of International Student Services within five days of their initial arrival or within five days after any subsequent re-entry into the U.S. They must also report any change of data recorded on the Personal Data form that is on file in the Office of International Student Services.

All non-immigrant and international students on a visa must be covered by the International Student insurance plan throughout their period of studies at TCU unless a waiver is requested and approved through the International Student Services Office prior to orientation. Waivers are considered solely in the case of students with dependents or students who enter the United States and study with a J visa. The coverage becomes effective one day prior to orientation and the cost for insurance is billed to the student account. All students must also provide the University with a completed TCU Health Record prior to initial registration.

Information on the admission requirements and procedures for international students is in the Graduate Admission for International Students section of this bulletin.

Student ID Card
Your TCU ID Card is your access key to many University resources. It is permanent and may be used as long as you are enrolled at TCU. If at any time you have any questions or problems with your ID Card, contact the ID Card Center in the Student Center, Room 221 or phone (817) 257-7856 or e-mail

How it works.
Your ID is a computerized plastic card, bearing your photo and TCU ID number, with a magnetic stripe on the back. Each time the card is inserted in a card reader, the data encoded in the magnetic stripe is electronically scanned and sent back to a central computer for verification. The system then transmits whether the card is valid and the transaction accepted.

Where to use your card
. You will use your card for: Dining Services, TCU Book Store send home charges, copying in the Library and Frog Prints, entry into the Rickel Building, Health Center services, athletic event admission, admission to many TCU events, voting in student elections, and to verify identity if requested by TCU Police. In some residence halls your card is used for door access, laundry, and soda and snack vending machines.

Lost or Stolen.
Card owners are responsible for reporting lost or stolen cards PROMPTLY, to assure that no one else uses your card. Report lost or stolen cards to The ID Card Center (Student Center, room 221, (817) 257-7856), TCU Police (257-7777), or any dining services area cashier. Until one of these agencies has been notified, you are responsible for any purchases with your card. There is a replacement charge of $10.00 for a lost or stolen card.

Please remember.
The ID Card remains the property of the University at all times and any abuse of the card could result in loss of privileges. Your card should be in your possession at all times and must be surrendered upon the request of any University official. Upon leaving the University, you must turn in your ID card to your Hall Director or RA, a Fraternity Hall Director, the dean of Campus Life, or the University ID Card Center.

Automobile Regulations
All students, faculty and staff who operate a motor vehicle on University property must register that vehicle with the TCU Police Department and comply with the rules and regulations set forth. The annual registration fees and the TCU Campus Parking Rules & Regulations can be found on the TCU Website .

Purchasing a parking permit does not guarantee a parking place nor does the lack of a parking space justify violation of any parking regulation. The fact that a citation is not issued when a vehicle is illegally parked does not mean nor imply that the regulation or rule is no longer in effect.

Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed, immobilized, or towed by the TCU Police Department. The payment of traffic fines, of immobilization, or towing charges does not entitle the violator to accrue an indefinite number of citations. Continued parking offenses may lead to a suspension of campus driving and parking privileges and may also result in disciplinary action by the University. Whenever it is necessary to move an illegally parked vehicle, an independent wrecker operator will tow the vehicle to the wrecker's storage area. The owner of the vehicle will be responsible for the wrecker fee and storage plus the fine for the traffic violation.

The University does not assume any liability concerning the protection of the motor vehicle or any responsibility for providing special parking places near a student's residence hall or class.

Campus Police
TCU Police Officers are commissioned by authority of the Board of Trustees of Texas Christian University and are certified as peace officers by the State of Texas to provide protection for personnel and property on campus. TCU Police are in service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and the TCU Police dispatcher can be contacted at any time by telephone, Area Code (817) 257-7777. The office is located at 3025 Lubbock Avenue.

Student Escort Program (Froggie Five-O). The TCU Police Department administers a student escort program for female students, Froggie Five-O, which operates between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. throughout the school year. Froggie Five-O escorts drive golf carts to all areas of the campus and can offer student transportation between academic buildings and residence halls. Students may request an escort by using any of the 25 emergency telephones located on campus or by calling the University Police at (817) 257-7777.

Campus Crime Watch. These programs are of a neighborhood watch nature with the TCU campus being the neighborhood. Meetings for the programs are open to all students, faculty, staff, and friends. The TCUPD Crime prevention specialist hosts the meetings and provides speakers on subjects of interest to campus community members.

Crime Prevention. Crime and other services are offered by TCUPD and the Fort Worth Police Department's Community Service Office and include: Sexual Assault/Acquaintance Rape Prevention, Personal Awareness/Campus Alcohol Police Information, Campus Crime Watch Meetings, Crime Prevention Surveys for Home and Business, "Operation ID: Property Identification System, Auto Theft Prevention (Window Etching) and, Vehicle "Jump Starts" (Due to possible problems with electric locks, TCUPD is unable to provide vehicle unlocking services).

RAD Systems. Rape Aggression Defense system (RAD) has been offered on the TCU campus for several years. RAD teaches women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assault by utilizing easy, effective, and proven self-defense/martial arts tactics. RAD provides effective options by teaching women to take an active role in their own self-defense and psychological well being. The RAD program was developed for and is offered to females.

Lost and Found. The TCU Police is the official lost and found office. Articles lost or found should be reported as soon as possible to help the office in returning property to the rightful owner.

Waiver of Responsibility. The University takes reasonable steps to protect people and property on the campus. However, it is impossible to provide protection that is 100 percent effective and the University does not accept responsibility for bodily injury, theft or damage to personal property occurring on the campus. Students are encouraged to assure that their own insurance coverage is adequate.

Academic Conduct

An academic community requires the highest standards of honor and integrity of all of its participants if it is to fulfill its missions. In such a community faculty, students, and staff are expected to maintain high standards of academic conduct. The purpose of this policy is to make all aware of these expectations. Additionally, the policy outlines some, but not all, of the situations which can arise that violate these standards. Further, the policy sets forth a set of procedures, characterized by a sense of fair play, which will be used when these standards are violated. In this spirit, this policy outlines below: (1) Academic Misconduct; (2) Procedures for Dealing with Academic Misconduct, and (3) Sanctions. These are not meant to be exhaustive.

I. Academic Misconduct
Any act that violates the spirit of the academic conduct policy is considered academic misconduct. Specific examples include, but are not limited to:

A. CHEATING. Includes, but is not limited to:
1. Copying from another student's test paper, laboratory report, other report, or computer files and listings.

2. Using in any academic exercise or academic setting, material and/or devices not authorized by the person in charge of the exercise or setting.

3. Collaborating with or seeking aid from another student during an academic exercise without the permission of the person in charge of the exercise.

4. Knowingly using, buying, selling, stealing, transporting, or soliciting in its entirety or in part, the contents of a test or other assignment unauthorized for release.

5. Substituting for another student, or permitting another student to substitute for oneself, in a manner that leads to misrepresentation of either or both students' work.

B. PLAGIARISM. The appropriation, theft, purchase, or obtaining by any means another's work, and the unacknowledged submission or incorporation of that work as one's own offered for credit. Appropriation includes the quoting or paraphrasing of another's work without giving proper credit.

C.COLLUSION. The unauthorized collaboration with another in preparing work offered for credit.

D.ABUSE OF RESOURCE MATERIALS. Mutilating, destroying, concealing, or stealing such materials.

E.COMPUTER MISUSE. Unauthorized or illegal use of computer software or hardware through the TCU Computer Center or through any programs, terminals, or freestanding computers owned, leased or operated by TCU or any of its academic units for the purpose of affecting the academic standing of a student.

F.FABRICATION AND FALSIFICATION. Unauthorized alteration or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise or academic setting. Falsification involves altering information for use in any academic exercise or academic setting. Fabrication involves inventing or counterfeiting information for use in any academic exercise or academic setting.

G.MULTIPLE SUBMISSION. The submission by the same individual of substantial portions of the same academic work (including oral reports) for credit more than once in the same or another class without authorization.

H.COMPLICITY IN ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT. Helping another to commit an act of academic misconduct.

I.BEARING FALSE WITNESS. Knowingly and falsely accusing another student of academic misconduct.

II. Procedures for Dealing with Academic Misconduct
1.Day refers to a school day on which classes are meeting.

2.Academic dean refers to the dean of the school/college offering the course in which the academic misconduct is alleged to have taken place.

3.Department chair refers to the academic administrator responsible for the unit providing the instruction in which the alleged academic misconduct occurred.

4. Faculty refers to the instructor of the course in which the suspected academic misconduct occurred.

5. Advisor refers to any person selected by the student who accompanies the student during formal hearings. The advisor may speak with the student but may not actively participate in the hearings.

6. The Academic Appeals Committee is a standing University Committee. The charge and membership of the Committee may be found in the Handbook for Faculty and Staff.

1. Students who know of an act of academic misconduct should report the incident to the faculty member teaching the course. The faculty member will obtain the basic facts of the allegation and ask the student reporting the misconduct to write and sign a statement of facts. The name(s) of the student(s) reporting suspected academic misconduct will remain confidential during the informal faculty/student meeting, but must be revealed to the accused student if the resolution proceeds beyond the faculty member and the accused student.

2. Faculty who suspect academic misconduct or who have academic misconduct reported to them must initiate an investigation and meet with the accused student within five days of becoming aware of the incident. A faculty member who is made aware by another person of an act of academic misconduct has the responsibility to investigate the allegation, and, if warranted, pursue the issue as outlined below (C.1).

3. In instances where the suspected academic misconduct is discovered during an academic exercise, the faculty member has the right to suspend immediately the student involved in the alleged activity from further work on the academic exercise.

4. A student, once accused of academic misconduct, will proceed in the course without restriction until resolution of the issue or until the academic dean has take an action as specified in III.B that removes the student from the course.

5. An "I" grade should be given by the instructor if the alleged misconduct occurs near the end of a semester, for example, during finals, and a sanction outlined in section III has not been applied by the instructor or the dean.

6. If more than one student is accused of the same act of misconduct (e.g., giving and receiving aid), each individual student is guaranteed the right to have the cases heard separately. With each student's permission, the cases can be combined. The faculty/student conference (C.1) is excepted from this requirement.

1. Meeting Between Faculty Member and Student. This is the first step to be taken in resolving an incident of suspected academic misconduct.
a.Within five days of suspecting misconduct, the faculty member will hold a meeting with the student. At this meeting, the faculty member will inform the student of all allegations against him or her and present any information supporting the allegations.
b.The student will be given the opportunity to respond to the allegations. The student has the right not to respond.
c.The faculty member will decide whether or not academic misconduct has occurred, and, if warranted, apply any combination of sanctions in III.A below, or refer the matter to the dean for more severe sanctions (probation, suspension, or expulsion). Findings of academic misconduct are based on the preponderance of the evidence.
d.The faculty member will notify the student in writing of his or her decision and may send copies to the academic dean, the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled, the department chair, and the dean of Campus Life. Any such copies of the findings will be kept on file in the college and department offices and in the student discipline files maintained by the dean of Campus Life.

2. Meeting with Department Chair. This meeting takes place when the student wishes to appeal either the findings of the faculty member or the severity of the sanction(s).
a. Within five days of being notified by the faculty member of the disposition of the incident of academic misconduct, the student may request a meeting with the department chair.
b. The department chair will become acquainted with the facts and meet with the parties involved in the case. The student has the right to meet with the department chair without the faculty member being present.
c. The department chair may either support or reverse the findings of the faculty member, and may lessen the sanction(s) imposed by the faculty member even while supporting the findings. The chair may not increase the severity of the sanction(s).
d. The department chair will notify the student and faculty member of his or her decision in writing and may send copies to the faculty member, the academic dean and the dean of Campus Life. Any such copies of the findings will be kept on file in the college and department offices and in the student discipline files maintained by the dean of Campus Life.

3. Meeting with Academic dean. This meeting takes place if the student wishes to appeal either the findings of the department chair or the severity of the sanction(s), if the faculty member recommends sanctions in addition to those listed in III.A.3 and 4 or if the student has been found guilty of academic misconduct previously.
a. Within five days of being notified by the chair of the disposition of the incident of academic misconduct, the student may request a meeting with the academic dean.
b. The academic dean will hear the facts of the case and make a decision about the alleged act of academic misconduct or the appropriateness of the sanctions administered by the faculty member. The academic dean can issue any combination of sanctions listed in III.
c. The academic dean will notify the student of his or her decision in writing with copies to the department chair and the faculty member. Copies of the findings will be kept on file in the college office and may be sent to the dean of Campus Life.

4. Academic Appeals Committee. Should the student wish to appeal the decision of the academic dean, he or she has the right to request a hearing before the Academic Appeals Committee.
a. The student must request this hearing by submitting an appeal letter to the chair of the university Academic Appeals Committee no later than five days from the date of receiving written notification of the dean's findings.
b. Upon receipt of the appeal letter, the chair of the Academic Appeals Committee may request materials from the student, the faculty member, the department chair, and/or the dean.
c. The appealing student has the right to appear before the Academic Appeals Committee. The student may bring one person with him or her as an advisor. The advisor may not speak for the student or to the committee. The advisor may only speak with the student. The student must inform the university five class days in advance if his or her advisor is an attorney in order for the university to also have an attorney present. Each party shall bear the expense of his/her legal counsel. Legal counsel is to provide counsel only and may not participate directly in the meeting. The meeting is an administrative hearing, not a court proceeding, and is not subject to the procedures or practices of a court of law.

III. Sanctions
1. Grant no credit for the examination or assignment in question (treat as a missed assignment).

2. Assign a grade of "F" (or a zero) for the examination or assignment in question.

3. Recommend to the academic dean that the student be dropped immediately from the course with a grade of "F."

4. Recommend to the academic dean that the student be placed on probation, suspended or expelled from the University.

(Previous academic misconduct will be taken into account when either the academic dean or the Academic Appeals Committee considers sanctions for academic misconduct.)
1. Apply sanctions in III.A.

2. Drop student from the course with a grade of "F." This grade cannot be changed by student-initiated withdrawal and the grade will be included in the computation of GPA even if the course is repeated.

3. Place the student on disciplinary probation at the University for a specified period of time.

4. Place the student on suspension from the University for a specified period of time.

5. Expel the student from the University.

6. In a case where the academic dean as defined above is not the dean of the school/college in which the student is enrolled, he or she shall recommend to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs that the student be placed on probation, suspended or expelled.

Student Grievance Procedure
The University has established both informal and formal procedures which a student may follow when presenting grievances. A grievance is defined as any dispute or difference concerning the interpretation or enforcement of any provision of University regulations, policies or procedures or state or federal laws applicable on the campus. Administrators, faculty and students are encouraged in all instances to resolve grievances informally, and as promptly as possible. However, formal procedures may be followed when needed.

Detailed information about the University Judicial System is given in the Student Handbook, available at the beginning of each fall semester. Individuals who have additional questions about how to gain access to the system may contact the office of the dean of Campus Life.

Texas Christian University