In 1873, Addison and Randolph Clark established AddRan Male and Female College in Thorp Spring, Texas. That institution later moved to Fort Worth and became Texas Christian University. Though the University has grown and expanded into areas that the Clark brothers could not have conceived, the AddRan College of Humanities and Social Sciences perpetuates their vision of education and the centrality of the liberal arts that lay at its core.
Today, AddRan offers the M.A. and the Ph.D. in English and History. Four departments (Economics, Philosophy, Religion, and Sociology, Criminal Justice and Anthropology) offer a limited number of courses at the graduate level in which graduate students from across the University can enroll. Additionally, faculty in various other AddRan departments also hold appointments to the Graduate Faculty, allowing them to work with graduate students in various capacities including serving on thesis or dissertation committees.